Sadowsky B string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gwreid, Jun 21, 2005.

1. gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Okay guys and gals, I'm contemplating a Sadowsky 5 string and would like your opinions on the sound and feel of the B string on the 34 inch scale models. How does it compare to 35 inch basses you may have played? Tell it the way it is and don't get wrapped up in the mystique. :)
  2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Here is my 2 cents. I have owned 34" and 35" scale 5er's.

Fender 34", Spector NS-5's in 34" and 35" and Warwicks in 34"

IMO, 34" is just right. It sounds right. A 35" will resonate differently, as you would expect, because of the added mass.

I also think that 34" is just more comfortable FOR ME. Feel like home.

The 34" Fenders I have had (7 of them) all had fairly decent B strings. However, they all had numerous deadspots that drove me nuts. They also just didn't punch like I wanted.

The Spector 34" were great. When Spector went to 35" I tried them but they were total different in feel and tone.

The Warwicks were it for me until recently. Tight B string. Thin necks (wide 5's have a nice neck profile). And good tone.

However, over the past year or so I have been gravitating towards the Sadowsky's. Have played them in session before but just kept denying it. The cost was a shocker at first too. But then it all jsut came together and I realized that the Saowsky was it.

Best B string I have ever played including Lull's, Laklands, Warwick, Spector, Fender, EB, KSD, etc.

To me, there is nothing better.
  3. Cory

May 16, 2004
    I agree with BigMikeW! The B string on my Sadowsky 5 is the best I have played as well. You can't go wrong with a Sadowsky!!
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Just goes to show that everyone's experience--or at least, everyone's expectations of a B-string--are a little different. I've had two Sadowskys which sounded and played wonderfully, and I and loved them both. But focusing only on that one detail, I didn't find the B's to be quite as good as my Laklands. Don't get me wrong, they were very good, but the 35" Lakland Skylines were better.

Scale length is just one factor out of many, and not nearly the most important one, since I've certainly played other 35" scale basses with B's not nearly so good as the Sadowsky. Strictly comparing the Sadowsky and Lakland, though--I like the sound of the taperwound Lakland B-string strung through the body, while I could never get the taperwould Sadowsky string to intonate quite right on my last Sadowsky with the top-loading bridge. So, I ended up preferring the overall sound of GHS Boomers on that bass, even if the B wasn't as good. Also, the earlier Sad had the heavy Gotoh bridge, and the B was actually better on that one (though still not quite as good as the Lakies, which have pretty awesome B's, especially for their price range).

Your definition of "awesome B" might be different from mine, though! And I do like the playability of 34" scale a little better than 35", though it's not a huge difference.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've owned a 35" neck thru Thumb 6, Pedulla MVP 6 34", Tobias Killer B 5 35", of those basses the only one that even comparred to the tightness and quality of tone to my Sadowsky was the Warwick, just comparring strings the Thumb was about equal. The Sadowsky won out in overall tone, playability and far less trips to the chiropractor. In a word the Sadowsky low B, despite being a 34" scale is excellent!
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My RV5 has a better B string than my Modulus Quantum 5, which is pretty much an industry benchmark. Its also better than the 35" scale Sonus 5/2 I just picked up. By "better "I mean it feels more like the other strings, responds well to any kind of touch, has better pitch focus up and down the neck, has better tone, and sits better in the mix. :bassist:
  7. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Im in the market for a sadowsky as well, and I have a Q5. Ive played a lot of bass over the years and to me the Q5 wins hands down on the B string.

My question is will the sadowsky B string ring out with sustain as much as a modulus? I can see how some basses punch as well, or even better than a modulus but on those basses that Ive tried the note died off too soon for my taste unless I used a comp/limiter. How is the sadowsky in this regard?
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Modulus Quantum 5 basses I've owned still have the best B strings I've ever played. However: while I could soften up the Q5 for classic rock and blues, it didn't have the same kind of warmth as a Fender-style bass (all wood, 34" scale, etc).

Even though the B string on my Sadowsky P5 isn't as good as Modulus, that doesn't mean I'm disappointed. To the contrary, I am delighted: at this point in my life, I don't want a bass to sound like a piano. The Sad B sounds especially good with Sadowsky rounds, nickel or steel. And my Sadowsky doesn't even have a bridge pickup... it just has the split P. Except as noted, my Sadowsky B string is as good as any other bass I've owned... that includes Warwick Streamer Stage I, Mike Lull P5, and MTD 535. Note that the Lull and MTD are 35" scale.

Note to inazone: I'm not ready to say that the Sadowsky B matches Modulus in terms of sustain, but it's very very good... not at all dead or floppy or whatever.
  9. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Thanks for your input.
  10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've never noticed a big difference in sustain on the two of them. The Sad B blooms really nicely when you let it ring, but probably not for quite as long as the Q5. If I remember when I get home tonight I'll A/B them a bit listening for sustain. I even have Sadowsky nickels on the Q5 so its a pretty fair test.

Fuzz ... I think if you had a bridge pickup it would change your opinion on which one has the better B across the board. The way the Sad is voiced its like giving the kick drum a big warm hug (without being blurry). And of you slap it ... forgeddaboutit!
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree that a bridge pickup gives a B string more harmonics, growl, and sustain, but I never used the bridge pickup on my Modulus either... and I also play my basses unplugged from time to time. I don't mean to dis the Sadowsky B: it's as good or better than any other B I've owned or played, 34" or 35"... except the Modulus!

I'll note here that basses can vary. Maybe my Moduli were better than yours, or your Sadowsky is better than mine? Doesn't matter... I'm not at all disappointed in my Sadowsky just because it has the *second* best B string I've ever heard. :)
  12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    If you want the best "B" out there get a Dingwall. OH MY G#%
  13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    We'll just have to assume thats is, I got an extra gram of pixie dust :D They're both great, so is the Sonus 5/2 for that matter.
  14. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    The Sadowsky B string is very good. I've played (and owned) a few that I though were it's equal or better (Modulus Q5, Fbass BNF5, Pedulla Rapture, Status Stealth, my customs) but if they were better is was not by much. I'll let you know about the Zon next week. ;) The Rapture was the first 34" scale bass I played with a superb B string.

I would say it's in the top 10% out of the 50 or so brands of 5 strings I've played. It's an excellent B on an excellent bass. However diffrent people like different things so I would try it for yourself to be sure it's right for you.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Sadowsky Low B works so well for me that i would not even want to own any other 5 string bass. Roger really got the Low B right with his 34 scale bass, they have the best sustain and note deffinition i have played on a 5 string.
  16. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    This tells me that we do all hear and want different things in a B string. I had the same bass and thought it was week, same with a SR5. Sounds great untill I need to get loud and live. The notes 'hit' and then die off. Sometimes thats a good thing but I can do that with my fingers. When I want a note to ring out, I want it to ring out, if that make sence.

btw, if you dont like the Zon, let me know. ;)
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, Over the last few years, I don't recall owning a 5 string bass with a bad B. I've had a Fender MIM DLX V, MIA Standard V, Valenti's, Sadowsky's, lakland SkyLines and USA's. Some were better than others but they were all aceptable.

I think the MIA Fender was the worst of that but it was still focused enough not to get lost in the mix.
  18. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    cool, thanks.
  19. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    You can hear the differences pretty clearly in the cabinet section of - the "scale" clip shows off the B string. There's also a good dingwall B clip in the basses section.

FWIW out of all the basses i've played, the Knuckle wins for B string. By FAR. I'd say Dingwall and Sadowsky are tied, and MTD and Elrick next. Fodera comes after that. This is all based on evenness, punch, and lack of bloom.
  20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

My sadowsky 5 has the best B I have played. Only bass that compared was a roscoe i had for a few months