Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Bass Again!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Aug 29, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Here we go again....

I sold my Sadowsky J-4 yesterday (for what I paid for it:)) because the alder body and neck combination didn't have that slap feel I was looking for. The finger style and tone were AWESOME. Think this will slap better? Now if I buy this, I'll have to kiss my Smith-4 GAS goodbye (maybe).

[​IMG]

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i haven't tried a mapled sad yet.

but, i would pre-emptively say an emphatic YES.

nino?

f

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    she's a looker!

f

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    go for it what do you have to lose?
    only gain

steve

5. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Hey JR,

Call/E-mail Roger and ask him.
    He would be the man to talk to!!

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I did call Sadowsky. I'm waiting for a price quote and a pic of the back.

Dude, I can buy, sell, and trade used basses all day long (the cost always balances out) But not so with a new bass, even a Sadowsky. If I buy this, I couldn't afford to sell it. :(

7. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    By the way...there was a Sadowsky Standard with a ash body, maple FB/neck, Quilt top on Bassgear.com but it's not listed anymore...I guess it sold!

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Yeah I know. I emailed him, but he did not reply.

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I wonder why.

No offense, but this is getting soooo old. You ask a million ****ing questions, buy a bass, then turn right around and sell it. I mean, if you're a dealer (or just have OCD), fine, but if you're a player, just settle on a frickin' bass, would ya? There is no holy grail.

Sorry, man. Someone had to say it.

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Lump,

Thanks for the cute reply. If you're stationed at Osan AB, then you might be USAF like myself. That being the case, then you should have no problem understanding:

1. MY money
    2. MY basses
    3. MY life

Either of which I can do as I so ****ing please!

1. I don't recall selling YOU a bass.
    2. I don't recall buying a bass from YOU.
    3. I don't recall emailing YOU or asking YOU
    to read/post in one of my threads.

When you see one of MY threads, simply assume that I am asking questions about a bass that I want to buy, sell, trade, modify, or play (because that's obviously what I like doing) and stay out!

It's all cool! Let's make an agreement:
    You mind your business and I'll do the same.

:D

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

JR

Did you consider the tokyo line when wanting to go ash maple. Thats really cool you were able to get the price you paid for it. I hope your new sadowsky brings you nothing but the best.:)

12. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm with JR on this one.

that's what TB is all about. asking opinions/asking questions/buying/selling/learning.

if everyone just "frickin'" settled on one bass, it would be pretty quiet around here.

nah, seems like you had to say it.

f

13. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I think the maple neck Sadowsky is one of the finest basses for slap out there. I've had mine for almost a decade and a half. They have a solid, musical voice that works like nobody's business in a live situation.

Of course, the pau ferro or morado option is no slouch, either. There's just more of a lively "snap" and "zing" with the maple.

I've found that some players get confused by the onboard preamp because it's boost only. If you take the plunge on this piece, myself and most of the Sadowsky players I know run the bass boost at noon or 1:00 and the treble around 1:00.

Watch Letterman tonight to hear Will Lee play his maple neck Sadowsky. That sold me when "Late Night" was still on NBC:)

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

JR, I have a maple board, ash body Sad. It's lively as heck. I prefer my pj4 with the morado board, though. I do much more finger style than slap. I used to have the same exact bass in a 5 string that was awesome. Shouln't have sold it. I have a maple board 5 on order. I know you'll love it if you pick it up. Good luck

Rob

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    - Flodshon agrees with me? :eek: That's a first.

- I talk off-line with traders that do way more swapping than I do. They won't post here because of comments like Lump's above. As for me, I don't care. Why? Read my comments above. ;)

- I just sold my Lakland on Ebay 5 mins ago. Buyer already paid too. I really liked it (ash and maple) but I didn't care for the round neck profile. And it didn't have a pick guard. I found myself grabbing too much "G" string because of the increased distance between the string and body. I really like the Sadowsky and Smith necks.

- I talked to Sadowsky about the above bass and he sent me some pics of the back. I've got to give credit to the man, he builds one heck of a bass. I found out that his newer basses (last 8 months)have more mass in the headstock to help eliminate deadspots. I didn't know it until now, but he also uses graphite in the neck.

Time to do some serious thinking. Sadowsky or Smith? I still have my Smith-5...mmmmm

[​IMG]

16. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Hey JR,

Yeah, that will be quite the bright setup but that maybe what you are hoping for. In a live situation, this would really cut through and slap quite well. It also has a way cool oldschool/Marcus Miller look to it.

Just as a suggestion, when recording with this bass, you may wish to have not only a DI but a mic on an amp or cab to give you a bit more warmth. That's just my 2 cents though.

Let us know if you snag it and good luck !!

-lsimy

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When did he do this? A year or so ago he posted(or somebody quoted him) that he had made a few necks with graphite reinforcement, but after comparing them, he felt that it did not make any positive difference in stability, and wasn't necessary.

18. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I'm simply repeating what I was told this morning by a member of the Sadowsky staff.

19. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have to reiterate this, the TOKYO SAD line...then, you may be able to get a Smith 4 also...and that's what it is really all about, MORE BASSES!!!!

:D

20. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I am sure there are differences, but I think you would save what, 1000+?

[​IMG]