Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky bass straight to PA? NEED FAST ANSWER

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimS, Sep 20, 2001.

1. I'm trying out for a band on this weekend at a bar (not outdoor or large venue). They gave me the song list and want me to jump right in. :eek: They said I could plug my Sadowsky jazz bass (which of course has the Sadowsky preamp ) straight into the PA but I don't know if this will sound good. I don't know what kind of PA system they have. My choices are
    1. Sadowsky bass direct to PA
    2. Sadowsky -> Kern IP-777 preamp with DI to the PA
    3. Sadowsky->Kern preamp->Crown K2 amp-> Euph Audio 2x10 cab[/list=1]Anybody every play straight to a PA? Thanks.

2. Bring everything. Don't get caught short.
    Use the 2x10 has your personal 'bass monitor'.
    Your Kern preamp is part of your signiture tone.
    Bring it.

Sadowsky->Kern preamp->Crown K2 amp-> Euph Audio 2x10 cab

Have a DI source as well.

If you need anything, you have it.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've done this many times. What you need to know is who's running the PA and how much will they diddle with what you send them. Also, when they say "plug directly into the PA", do they mean that they prefer you not to use a rig onstage, or that you'll be allowed to send a DI to the board? If it's the former, I'd check into what they have for monitors.

I'd imagine that they won't be listening to your tone so much as what you play and how well you "jump right in". You might not have much time to set up a rig, so plugging your bass directly into a DI box and to the board might be your best bet. You can do this with a quality bass like a Sadowsky and 9 out of 10 times, get a good tone with the channel eq flat.

4. Thanks y'all. I went for option 3: the whole rig and it worked out great. The tone was wonderful with tight monstrous lows and beautiful mids and highs supplying terrific punch. They asked me to show up for the future band dates. :)