1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky bass with matte clear finish

Discussion in 'Sadowsky Basses' started by Fran Diaz, May 12, 2010.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I saw this bass with the matte clear finish and I was curious about it.

Roger, how is this finish achieved? less polishing? different finish material?

I like the fact that it doesn't reflect the lights so much.

[​IMG]

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'll add another question.

Will the the finish eventually be buffed to a gloss finish in specific areas that experience more player wear and contact?

I know the Sadowsky necks experience this. Satin finish at first but as your thumb rubs over the back from playing it, it eventually gets turned into a gloss/semi-gloss finish. Which I love btw!

3. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    I have a Stingray with what they called "Natural Satin" or something like that... I wonder if it's the same?

I love it... too bad it's not offered anymore.

But it seemed to me like it was finished in the same way that a bass would normally be finished... all the imperfections were wet sanded off and everything... but it's almost like they skipped the last stage of the process and didn't use the buffing wheel with a buffing compound.

I really like it... it's not "sticky" like some poly finishes can get and it resists wear much, much better.

Areas of wear to tend to smooth out a little and "shine" more, but... it's not really noticeable, because those spots never get high-polish shiny.

4. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I remember those satin MM Stingrays - I have a catalog from 1980 and they were even offered back then - but not to get off topic - it seems like it would make more sense to spray an actual satin or flat finish. If not, then yes, the areas getting a lot of contact (contoured areas) would become polished out and glossy. Slightly off topic - I had some interaction with LeCompte Basses and Bud sprays only satin clears, mainly because it's less work, but also becuase it does look good and feels nice to the touch. I wasn't aware of this option on Sadowskys. Is it an option and is it an actual satin or flat clear paint?

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yes. This is true even for poly. The MusicMan Sabre I got in the late 80's had a satin finish neck, but the back of the neck became shiny/glossy after awhile.

6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Whatever it is, that thing is gorgeous...