1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky bass With Tonehammer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmunnky, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Not a DI vs Thread

I'm looking to get a new amp (and or) DI with a little dirt.

I use a Sadowsky 4

The Aguilar "seems" it might be cool for adding some Mids and crunch as well with the AGS.

I've been doing a lot of YouTube research and it seems most people run the TH pretty close to flat which seems strange to me

Thanks

2. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    What's wrong with your vt deluxe?

Bassmunnky likes this.
  3. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004

I'm scaling down my pedal board -

And getting a new amp - so it may be either or

4. The Tone Hammer sounds pretty awesome IMO and IME (I had a TH350 head for a long time), and did with any bass I threw at it - EBMM Sterling, Ric 4003, my ACG, passive Jazzes, Roscoe LG, etc etc etc.

It sounds incredible with "flat" settings because a) the baked in tone is incredible, b) the Drive and Gain knobs have massive impact upon the tone, and c) the EQ is also really powerful, so you don't need to vary the controls much. I don't think I ever cut or boost beyond 1 "hour" in either direction from "noon".

Nomogram and Bassmunnky like this.
  5. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004

Great answer - lifts a lot of mystery- should help with the awesome baked in Sadowsky tone- I love baking

DaveAceofBass and blindrabbit like this.
  6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I use a Sadowsky PJ and JJ with a TH500 for most gigs. I havent bought or used every amp around, but I do own several old SVT's, B-15's, a Shuttle 9, and have owned a few more in the past. I am *very* satisfied with my TH500, and dont plan to change anytime, and stopped hauling the heavy heads a while ago. The cab(s) you use are going to largely determine your sound, at least stage sound, as I'm sure you already know. For large shows, I run to the board direct from my bass with a Radial JDI, so the TH is largely for my own satisfaction. For small indoor shows, I typically use my TH with a couple of Bag End 15's. I would describe my sound as somewhat of an old school tone, but with plenty of clarity, thanks to the Sadowsky pre, as well as the small and punchy cabs. I can get somewhat crunchy, but prefer a rounder tone with a bit of an edge. I'm not a flashy player, but do want to be clearly heard in the mix, as well as be able to provide a solid bottom...not DJ sub lows...more of an old Stax sound with some bite.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Resurrecting this thread just because it is the exact thing on my mind this morning. I have a Sadowsky Metro that's my main player. Last night I played, again, in a room that is always a bugbear for me-- boomy, problematic sound, and no PA so my gear needs to carry it. I can NEVER get a good sound in there-- until last night. In the past I've used Barefaced BB2 + Super Midget with a GK MBF800, Barefaced Four10 with a Fender Bassman.... different basses, high pass filter, no high pass filter... never got a good sound. I have a Tonehammer 350, and two Aggie SL112 cabs, that I haven't tkane out of the house in probably 2 years... I use them at home but decided a long time the TH350 wasn't working for me, with or without the SL112's.

Since I'd failed tonally there with my usual gear time and again--quality gear--, I decided to bring the TH350 and two SL-112's, used an FDeck High Pass Filter, and of course the Sadowsky. FINALLY-- great tone in there! Between the drive control which adds a bit of mid and the HPF (which other times helped but didn't make it awesome), the tone was exactly what I wanted for this room and gig-- a blues thing-- tight and controlled but with ample bottom, good articulation.

So, I have newfound respect for the TH350 and SL-112's (esp as used with my Sadowsky which I hadn't played through it before). I'll be bringing it out more often to see again what it'll do elsewhere with the Sad.