Sadowsky Basses, Roger Himself and Why So Many Of Us Buy His Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I was planning to write something before Roger responded to the Fender vs. Sadowsky thread. But, Roger put it best himself.

I will say a few things from my experience.

1.) I have had contact with the Fender Custom Shop in the past. I was going to order one about six years ago. The bass would have cost me $3,500 in 1999. That is more than what Roger charged at the time.

2.) The customer service Roger and his staff provide are top notch. Even when I was entertaining dropping $3,500 at the Fender Custom Shop I never felt like they really cared a whole hell of a lot. I definitely felt like they wanted to make a great bass for me BUT I never felt "special". I guess that's how to put it. Roger and his staff are very personable and really make you feel like you are the only person they are buildign a bass for at the time you are talking to them. They have taken time to answer any question I had before I made the switch.

3.) Rogers preamp and pickups are head and shoulders above anything coming out of the Fender Custom Shop.

4.) One TB member posted that most boutique bass owners are not professionals and that the pros play the big names. That is partially true. BUT there is a huge reason. They get them dirt cheap or free. That's what took me so long to switch to Sadowsky. I had been in a situation for last 8 years where I was getting my basses for about 35% of retail! Read that part again. I was paying roughly $1,500 for a $4,200 bass. When Michael Anthony plays a Yamaha it isn't one of his Sig basses that was mass produced. It was a custom bass and it still cost him nothing. Stars and Top Artists love being spoiled and getting things for free and that is fine. But you have to know what you are talking about before you make a statement like this.

5.) I have said this before but, explain to me why someone who can get basses for free, or at 35% of retail OR better yet get PAID to play a manufacturers bass would ever decide to pay what Roger charges? Do you think there is something there? Do you think artists like Jason Newsted are stupid and just throw away over $26,000? That is about what Jason paid for the EIGHT basses he ordered from Roger. Also, he is still playing them. I haven't seen Jason stick with a brand this long.

6.) Sadowsky's are a tool. A valuable tool that does the job better than anything else in my opinion. I have played and used old, very old P basses and J basses in the past. They are very nice, some of them. But I would put my Sadowsky's up against them in a heart beat. For me, it is worth the price and I have gone from buying basses very cheap to paying full dollar for a Sadowsky.

7.) Finally, Roger is the kindest and most honest person I have encountered in this business (met a few more since meeting Roger). He is a genuine guy who really does care about you and making you happy. What price do you put on that.

Anyway, I though Rogers remarks needed another look so I pasted them below.

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Sadowsky you are a very nice guy,we love good luthiers like you,i love Fenders because i can,t pay your bass but if i can,is no question,i get one,maybe some day,Roder why you don,t have financing department? :bag: i believe some guys(pay car,home,kids,dog diner,etc,etc) apreciate a good bass and we can financing the instrument,thank,s and god bless Sadowsky famili. :)
  3. If I were SX, I'd pay big money to Mike W to get him onboard!!

Mike, someone told me you like Sadowsky's???

Seriously though, my post got glossed over in the race to flame/defend Roger.

The most impressive thing about this forum and bass players in general is that we all have opinions about our craft.

There are Warwick, Ibanez, Fender, SX, Ricks, EBMM, Fodera, Sadowsky, Spector and even Wishbass fans here (sorry to those I forgot). My point is that everyone is entitled to like/love their chosen manufacturer.

There is no comparison, it is speculative and opinion.

Now, let the flames begin on ME!!!

Muhaahawaha :D
  4. Long live Sadowsky! I hope to have enough money by the end of summer 2006 to get one! Wait for me Roger!
  5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Roger for president :bassist:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I couldent see myself buying any other new solid body bass other then a Sadowsky, they deliver every time. :bassist:
  7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Hey Pete -

I completely agree. There are many good basses and each has a right to like whatever they want. Doesn't matter to me at all. Proper comparisons need to be made and I think Roger nailed it.

I'd never compare and SX to a MIA Fender.

All the best,
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Excellent points, Mike. The guys at Sadowsky always treat me like a pro, despite the fact that I'm a hack, so that keeps me coming back! :D
  9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    A hack? PLEEEAASSEE! Give me a break brother! LOL
  10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yo quiero un Sadowsky, :cool:
  11. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Is it my impression, or is there a sadowsky hype going on lately? :smug:
  12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Have you noticed that the three most vocal groups on TB are Sadowsky owners, Fender owners and SX owners :eek:

Hmmm ..... all the same basic body shape, all very similar headstocks, all kind of named the same (P, J, P/J, Vintage, etc)

:bag: ..... does this mean that both Roger and Kurt are the offspring of Leo ..... :confused: :bag:
  13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It's SATAN hiding in that Jazz bass body style sending out subliminal messages!!!!
  14. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have never seen one in peson. I hope someday I can try one to see if I like it. :meh:
  15. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I love F Bass too!!!!
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nah, not hype. It's simply reposting of something from an old Sadowsky thread into a new Sadowsky thread for the benefit of Sadowsky lovers who don't read every single Sadowsky thread, or perhaps don't realize that threads can span multiple pages.

Sadly, those who ignore Sadowsky threads will miss these important messages. Perhaps new Sadowsky threads should be created without "Sadowsky" in the subject line, so that we all may be assimilated.

17. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    we love Sadowsky lol :cool:
  18. That entire thread doesn't contain one single post in which Roger Sadowsky was flamed in any way. The 'defence' on the other hand was almost instantly flaming the topicstarter and everyone who didn't join in to do the same...

Isn't comparing different basses the subject of about 60% of the threads on Talkbass?
  19. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

After the 1,000,000th Sadowsky thread
    At this point here's where we stand:
    - Everyone who gushes about Sadowskys remarked on how much they love em
    - Everyone who doesn't think they are worth the money has ragged on em
    - Everyone who said they tried it, found that it was and excellent bass but wasn't for them have indicated their opinion
    - Everyone who has said they wish they could try one has expressed it
    - Everyone who wishes they could buy one, or afford has shared their Sadowsky GAS
    - Everyone else can just use the d@mn search feature

Me thinks it's time for a Sadowsky megathread. Seriously.
  20. Or maybe a Sadowsky thread moratorium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.