Sadowsky basses with Flats?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tommixx, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I am curious if anyone here has had any experience with this setup? I have tried the Sadowsky Nickel wounds and HIGHLY recommend that everyone at least try a set. Best set of strings I ever used! I have not tried their flats. In fact, I have not tried ANY flats on a Sadowsky bass. I am going to stick a set of Sadowsky Flats on my NYC Vintage 4 next week and was just curious if anyone else had any experience at all with this setup or if anyone has been using any brand of flats on their Sadowskys and what results you have gotten. Has anyone noticed any radical difference in tone or in their setups. I know it will probably change a bit, but I am talking about radical differences here...

2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I strung my Ultra Vintage sadowsky with Labella Flat but then I changed to Thomastik, it sound more mellow and smoother than round wound.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Look for posts by Treena Foster in the strings forum regarding this subject.

She posted links to recordings she made using TI flats on her Sadowsky and the tone was quite nice. Brighter than expected but not as snarky as roundwounds.
  4. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    I experience the same on my NYC 4 ... couldn't be more happy. Go with flats!!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I bet a Sadowsky Ultra Vintage P Bass would rock with Flats. :bassist:
  6. Thanks guys,

Treena's clips are great. That is exactly what I was looking for! You rock ihixulu! Anyone else tried this out. Anyone have to make any truss rod or saddle adjustments?

7. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    TI Flat has a very low tension, it is easy for our finger , less tiring . No need to change any set up.