1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky bassist extraordinaires - how do you set your EQ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I had to e-mail Kevin yesterday when I got my MV4 to ask him what each knob did! It didn't come with anything explaining this. Anyway, he explained it and let me know that they don't "cut" anything - only boost (cool). I love the simple layout now - just curious, how do *you* run yours? I like my master volume varied on the loudness I want, the pan equal for both pickups, no treble boost, and a little bit of bass boost. It sounds thick!

Skel

2. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Although I change it for different songs, the average would be the volume almost all the way up, pickups on for both, the VTC rolled off a tad, the bass boosted about 25%, the treble up maybe 5%. I've used less and less boost the longer I've owned them.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    For most of the time I have the volume at 100%, VTC on full, bass about 30% and the treble barely on. I then blend the pickup according to the song.

4. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I normally have the p/u-blend in the center position and I boost the bass a tad and leave the treble untouched. When pan the p/u-blend towards the bridge pickup, I normally boost the bass to about 50%. When I slap, I make a slight treble boost.

5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Volume 100% unless I'm in the midle of a song and I find myself too loud and then I cut a little.

VTC: It depends on the strings, if they are new I roll off more treble, but when I'm playing with a band, the more songs into the set we are the less treble I cut, to the point that I leave it 100% open.

Treble: I almost never boost treble, although lately I've found that I can get some interesting tones by cutting a lot on the VTC and boosting treble to add definition.

Bass: 10-30 % boost depending on the pickup Blend: more bridge pickup=more bass boost (not always but most of the time).

Pickup blend: This is the real tone control for me. If I want a full,warm, round tone I set the blend @ 50%. If I want more mids to cut better or for a clearer tone I favor the bridge pickup.

6. tripb19

tripb19 Camel - Camel

Jun 18, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    With my fingers

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Pretty much the same for me here.

Bass 20-30%

Treble 0

VTC Full up

I have an ash/maple UV70s metro and i like that sound to be full and bright but with good bottom end support.

If i had an Rosewood/Alder bass i think i'd like to roll off vtc to give a rounder, classic tone more like early john paul jones, Jerry Jemmott, etc... thats how i use the tone control on my 62 jazz reissue, down below half mostly.

But as has been said many many times, less is more with the Sad preamp... especially the treble.

cheers

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Depends on the rack rig. That is, which rackmount pre I've decided to use. I play with a few projects, so it also depends on the style of music: i.e. I'll usually choose a different tone for modern rock than I will for blues/classic R&B. It may also depend on room acoustics. And finally, my mood on a given day might trump any of the above!

FWIW, when I boost treble I often roll back the VTC to compensate. They behave differently... that is, one does not negate the other.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I don't know much about these basses. I only ever played Kens for like a minute.
    What is a VTC?

10. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Vintage Tone Control.

It's a tone knob like in a regular Jazz Bass.

Pedro

11. When I had mine I rolled the VTC back about 15% or so to take away the bit of "brassy-ness".
    Treble almost never boosted, unless some slapping (maybe 10%) or on a real boomy stage for some cut.
    Bass boosted about 15-maybe 20%. But flat if the afore-mentioned boomy stage was an issue.

But a lot of the time nothing boosted with VTC rolled back a hair. The pre-amp engaged alone (not boosted) sounds pretty damn good!

VTC: back about 15%
    Treble- flat
    Bass- boost about 15%
    Balance between pickups- center or 50/50.

12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Now I know. Thanks!

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I liked mine passive, or active with the EQ flat.

14. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a Lakland JO5 with a Sad on-board pre. ...does that count?

Volume: I like it at about 85-90% in case I'm not loud enough I have have room to turn up (or turn down if needed).

PU Blend: Depends on the situation. Normally centered for warm fingerstyle or salp or a bit toward the bridge for punchy Jaco-like fingerstyle.

VTC: Still experimenting here, but typically at about 80%. I'll cut it down to about 10-20% when doing dub/reggae style stuff.

Bass: a bit of boost, maybe 15-20%. For dub/reggae I'll boost to 50-60%.

Treble: flat with new strings, then as the strings deaden I'll boost a tad, maybe 15-20% max.

15. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Volume: 100%.
    Blend: Usually 50%. I favour the neck pickup if I want a more "P bass" tone (which it does surprisingly well). I seldom favour the bridge pickup.
    Preamp always on - no VTC on my Sadowsky.
    Treble: Usually 0% Will go up to 40% for that Entwistle-like "clang".
    Bass: Usually 0%. Around 30% for more groove-oriented songs where you don't want the pitch of the notes emphasized as much.

16. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I have a P/J 4.

I use the EQ bypass on the preamp in my rig.

I don't use the bass or treble boosts at all 99% of the time. If I use either, it is very moderate.

I get my tonal variations mainly by rolling the VTC on or off in combination with adjusting the P/U blend. My volume knob is usually left a little less than full, so I have a little room for a bump if I need it mid song... If I'm recording, the only difference would be my volume is probably all the way up.

I love the natural sound of the bass, so I don't find the EQ to be necessary most of the time.

17. rogerjeep

rogerjeep

Aug 10, 2005
    Volume: 100%.
    Blend: Usually 50%. sometimes I will user more of the bridge PU.
    VTC rolled back 10-15%.
    Treble: Usually 5%%
    Bass:40 but 50-60 when I use more of the bridge PU

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Volume 100%? :confused: I've never run my volume that high. Please, educate a rodent! What are the benes? Btw, I don't have a VTC on my MS5 yet.

19. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    VJ5.

Default:

Vol: 90%. I like a teensy bit of headroom at my fingertips.

Blend: 20% towards bridge pup (lotsa growl).

VTC: Really depends on how new my strings are, but usually full on (no treble cut).

Treble/Bass: Both 20% or so. IMO, the combination of blend and bass is where you find the mids. Panned towards the bridge, this is the sweet spot on my bass for supah growl without being farty.

Our set list is all over the place, so I adjust a lot. The only time I have the blend centered is for slap though. Main tone controls are VTC and blend. With my sandpaper hands, the VTC is worth its weight in gold. Didn't come stock at the time, so I had it retrofitted. For me, it makes all the difference in the world. :cool:

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Anyone?