1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Bright Nickels + P = Bliss!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joelb79, Feb 24, 2008.

1. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I just threw a set of Sadowsky Bright nickels on my P bass. BN40's so they are 40-60-80-100 gauges. Just perfect. They are a very taunt string, so they have a nice thump, but i still have the roundwound growl with the added brightness of the design.

I absolutely hated these strings on my Jazz but they just rule on the P bass. Just thought I'd let some people know and see if anybody else out there has good luck with these strings on a P bass.

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I tried the 40-128T set on an RV5 and was not all that pleased. Good to know about the P.

What did you dislike about them on your J?

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    They were way to bright with an almost nasal light upper midrange. They almost seemed like they were eq'd upwards with a total lack of low mids and lows.

On a P, which has a mellower pickup and a lack of the same upper mids, it actually evens out the frequency response. The lows are tighter because if the increased tension of the string, but they have a nice thud like quality when you pluck. And they love to be dug into and greet you with a nice snarl with a piano like sustain.

Good strings for a P. Horrible strings for a J. I wouldn't recommend them for a MM either unless you have a very dead sounding MM.