Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FritzM, Nov 8, 2004.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    #3939 or M342

My gigs are mostly straight ahead jazz, mixed with some R&B and Blues. I play 100% fingerstyle with a back pickup "jaco-esque" kind of sound, but a little rounder and a little less "burpy."
    My questions are: obviously Metro vs. NYC, but also would the Vintage tone control help in getting the sound I'm after? I've heard many say that the maple board sounds really good with a darker tone. There is a $1k dollar difference in these two instruments. Please give me your thoughts and input on these two great basses. BTW, I've decided on a Sadowsky after many jazz style basses ( MIA, Custom Shop, Lull, Lakland, etc.)
    I need an instrument that will have superb fretwork because I play with a really low action. Notice, that #3939 has a 9" radius. Will that effect the low action that I want?

Thanks___Fritz

2. Don't get me wrong, I love Sadowsky and a 5 string is top on my list. But Have you checked out Shur basses. If your looking for a "Darkish fat warm" 60s tone John Shur has hit the nail on the head. http://www.suhrguitars.com/mission.htm

Just thought I'd make your life even more difficult :D

3. For your playing style I would certainly recommend the rosewood/alder combination (#M342) AND the vintage tone control, although the vintage tone control will help to get rid of fretnoise with a maple fingerboard too, but a maple fretboard is likely to sound too bright for your style. For superb fretwork I would recommend a NY Sadowsky.
    But ofcourse if you want the best advice, just call Roger.

R.

4. I like the M342. The theory is that the rosewood will have darker sound. I dig the look of maple finger boards better on J basses.

I like the suhr vintage basses too. Never heard of them but will vouch that you can have an awesome 100% high quality handmade U.S. bass for under $1,500. But Sads have good resale value and seem to be thought of as consistant winners.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the M342 as well.

6. Yeah, the Metro is very sweet.

7. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I agree that the Suhr J basses should be looked into, not many people know about these but I'll bet those of you that like Sadowsky would also love the Suhr basses. The attention to detail is the best I have ever seen. To get the "darker" tone I would go with the Alder/Rosewood combo. I played a Suhr over the spring and that's all she wrote for me, I ended up buying an Ash/Maple Suhr J Bass and I'm not looking back at all. It has the typical J bass brightness and the notes are all even across the board with not a dead spot to be found. Check em' out!

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I know #3939. It is a tremendous bass. Sounds like a million $'s. I have 3 Sadowsky's. All are ash bodies. Two have maple tops. Two have maple boards, the other Morado. I like the maple boards. I wasnt a maple board fan until I started playing full time a couple years ago. Always liked the rosewood better. Now I prefer the maple boards.

On the other hand, I LOVE my metro. Awesome bass. Ash/maple board. NICE

Good luck

Rob

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Much prettier.

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    +1

11. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I mimic my Fender 62 reissue(alder/rose) with a ash/maple Sadowsky and Sadowsky Stainless roundwounds.
    Vol 1/4 down
    Passive Tone 1/3 down (maybe a touch more)
    Bass Boost 1/4 up
    Thats with both pickups on full.

I am getting an Alder/Rose Sadowsky, just waiting until my wife's back is turned.

I find the ash/maple combination really sits nicely between the guitars and drums. Recently I added the Vintage Tone Control and no longer need to change basses during sets.
    I ordered a set of Sadowsky nickels and will try those out to soften the ash tone.

Thanks

Robert VanLane

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    get the metro.

they're fine instruments, and this one looks like a beaut.

13. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I think the Metro will suit better your sonic needs + she's really nice although I prefere the Vintage look on instruments without a figured maple top. As far as the ash/maple vs. alder/rosewood battle I have to say that Roger sometimes break these rules with exceptional results: I own a NYC 4 with swamp ash/quilted maple top and a madagascar rosewood fingerboard and I think that sonically speaking this bass nicely sits somewhere in the middle between the two combinations usually offered.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Body wood has a much greater effect on tone than fingerboard wood. I would go for alder because IME it usually provides more warmth and "roundness" than swamp ash.

15. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    They're both sweet!! For darker tone I like the M342 and the price is right!

16. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Roger himself told me that fingerboard wood plays a great role.

17. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I have to disagree. I think the tonal differences of the fingerboard are much greater than the difference between alder and ash.

Roger

18. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Oh Roger, I'm SO HAPPY with that ash/madagascar rosewood combination ... :hyper:

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Both really nice basses, but as I'm a sucker for quilted maple....I'd say #3939! ;)

20. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    For price and looks, my vote would be the Metro (I'm a sucker for the '59 Burst).

Keep in mind, if the vintage tone control is important to you, it can always be retro fitted to the Metro.

Best Wishes,
    Bones