Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky classic with EMG and i think a Gotoh bridge???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pacojastorius, Mar 7, 2006.

1. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    im thinking about buying a Sadowsky Classic, its has EMG pickups and what loks like a Gotoh bridge or is it a schaller, its flat looking one with paddle shaped saddles.
    whats the story on this? did sadowsky use EMG and Schaller as standard parts on a Classic before he started making his own branded parts? or are they a custom extra?
    and lastly has anyone ever heard of fake sadowskys turning up?

2. Do you mean Modern 24 Fret like this?
    [​IMG]

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Once upon a time, in a land far, far away.....
    Yes ...

No
    Yeah, They're called Fender. :bag:

In all seriousness, if you have the serial number, give the shop a call and we should be able to tell you the specs and year it was made.

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Is this bass a 4 string, and is it in London? If so, I've played it.

For what it's worth, although I think EMGs are good pickups, I thought that, on a Sadowsky, they tended to dominate the sound too much, and the bass seemed to lose some of it's identity. If I were to buy that bass, I'd get the pickups changed over to Sadowsky pickups straight away.

5. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    nope, its in France also thinking about a metro 4 string modern , do they play the same and sound like the classic?

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Older Sadowsky's had EMG's.

7. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Yeah, pretty much. As Major Metal said, Sadowsky tended to use EMGs on older basses, but I don't think it's as common anymore.

I've got a Metro, as well as a pair of NYC basses, and I think you'll find that the Metro is very close in quality, sound and feel to the NYC instruments. Considering the NY bass you're looking at has EMGs, I think I'd go with the Metro, personally.

Can you tell us what sort of prices are on each of the basses? Is the Metro new, or used? How old is the NY bass? And does it have a maple top, or is it a solid colour?

8. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    :D Great line!

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats Funny Nino. :D