1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky club members.....so you think you got the Sadowsky tone ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by behindthenotes, Sep 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. behindthenotes

behindthenotes

Jun 10, 2008
    Musician documentary website
    Hi Guys

Well it seems there have been a few mixed reactions to the Sadowsky bass sound on our Roger documentary.

So we spoke with Roger and came up with this idea- we are going to run a competition for all the Sadowsky Club members and the winner will be the new featured/immortalised bass player in the re-edited Roger Sadowsky video.:hyper: I am sure we can work something out for 2nd and 3rd.

So in order to be eligible for this you must be:
    1) Member of Club Sadowsky on Talkbass
    2) Registered on Behindthenotes.com (yes it's free to do this)
    3) Have your entry in by 30th Oct - see submission details below

Competition Requirements
    These may sound a little heavy but:

1) Film approx 10-15 mins of you with your fav Sadowsky bass playing a variety of different stuff that can be used as incidental/transitional shots between the chapters - if anyone is in doubt then please visit our site and see how the current bass player Dave Galea did this on Roger's feature.

2) No handy-cam home videos - these must be shot on at least semi pro DV cam cameras and shot in standard definition.

3) Solo bass only - no band/backing tape accompaniment

4) Bass is to go through a desk/DI - no camera mics please

Judgement Criteria
    1) Sadowsky tone:
    No surprises there

2) The visual shoot:
    Ok so not only will you be judged on the sound but also the way it's shot - no we don't expect you to hire Spielberg and Fox studios for this but it has to be at least up to the visual standard that's already there.

3) The playing:
    Something you feel suits the tone of the video-due to clearance issues we won't be able to accept any covers of songs - apologies in advance for that - I know it's harsh.

Submission criteria:
    If you can submit your video on Youtube with a "Club Sadowsky" tag and post the link to it on the BTN Forum under Bass/General Talk. We will short list these to 10 and Roger can have the final vote for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

We will contact the winners and post the announcement back here around the first week of November and give the winner details on how to get the DV tape to us.

There was a great quote by Peter Erskine - Music, It's a contribution not a competiton - I hope this hasn't violated that too much and put images of "Bass Idol" in your heads.

If anyone has any questions or queries then just send them to us c/o - general@behindthenotes.com.

Looking forward to seeing these YouTube posts guys -

Thanks for your time

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Oh, I'm SO subscribing to this one. :D

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    So exactly what is a "semi pro DV cam camera"? Are there any models at Best Buy that would suffice?

I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm genuinely interested.

4. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm curious too. Maybe suggest some models?

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Most mini DV cameras on the market now are pretty good quality and will yield a nice picture. Anything by Sony or Panasonic would be a good choice. Remember, DV is a digital video format and will work well here.

We use consumer Mini DV cameras for some of the hand held stuff on a few of the MTV reality shows that are currently in production.

6. behindthenotes

behindthenotes

Jun 10, 2008
    Musician documentary website
    Hey Guys

Thanks for the response so far just to clarify - you don't have to go and buy one of these - we don't want to send you broke for a 15 minute video.

Sony do make good cameras and likewise Cannon. For a Sony you could get away with a PD 170, you would be able to hire these rather than splash out and buy one.

7. just to help this out semi-pro would probably be like "prosumer" cameras as they call it. Most likely any 3ccd mini dv camera, im assuming, will do like sony's vx and pd series, canon's gl1, gl2 and xl1, and panasonics dvc and dvx series (theres others but those are the common ones). If you live in southern california i own a panasonic ag-dvx100a and if i can take the credit for the footage and a couple of bucks ill shoot it for you.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have the Sadowsky tone all night long but I do not have technology. :(

9. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!! :bassist:

Subscribed!

10. Must we be wearing clothes for the vid? :eek:

11. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm thinking the world is not ready for another Flea. :eyebrow:

12. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I better have the sadowsky tone, I paid alot of money!

13. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Sony DCR DVD405 (thought it was a 403). It's an older model but will this suffice? I've actually never used it. So, it is still brand new. LOL!

14. I'm so gonna knock this down!!
    I have nothing to loose!!!

15. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    One thing that struck me is that the Sadowsky tone is not really known for solo bass. In fact many people say they they do not much like the tone of the bass at home. It's when you get it into the mix that it is magical. So, the "solo bass" thing just seems a but wasted to me.

16. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    subscribed

17. Subscribed.

lowsound

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Shooting my video tomorrow AM. Hopefully it's ok that it's not semi-pro. :smug:

Worst case is I'll have a nice video for my personal "press kit". :cool:

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Oh and this'll be the real star of the show.

4582_full.

20. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Can't wait to hear/see it.