Sadowsky Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by abngourmet, Sep 13, 2018.

1. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    As I’m sitting waiting for the hurricane to hit, I spent some time with my Jazz style basses. In my case:

’73 Fender Jazz, ash body, maple neck, black blocks/binding, J-Retro Pre, Badass Bridge
    ’17 Sire V7s, one with a maple fingerboard, the other with a rosewood board
    ’07 Sadowsky NYC Vintage 4, Black Sparkle Finish, rosewood/morado board

Playing them all (through a Genzler Magellan 800, 12, and 2X10) here’s my verdict.

’73 Jazz - terrible build quality a huge neck/body pocket gap; lowest action of all. Great tones from East pre. Heavy.

Sires - great tones, action, fairly light weight.

Sadowsky- light, similar tones, incredible action, comfortable playing.

Bottom line ..

for J style bass, for me, the Sadowsky wins, followed by the Sires and the Fender. Price is always an issue, so ... if it is, I’d choose a Sire over a Fender.

The Sadowsky is a keeper for me.

deepestend likes this.
  2. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    A good analogy. But its 3 basses. Those basses. Fender can make a bass very different from the next during those times. I am still convinced which many will disagree, that even a fender made in the 50 and 60's, NOT ALL
    will sound great.
    I am not surprised the Sadowsky won your favor. I have a 1999 NYC 5 and love it. Need to update with adding the passive knob. Roger also is an amazing, amazing customer service representative for his own company. He listens to every one and is extremely helpful. Hard to beat having a sadowsky, plain and simple. Can't go wrong with any model. Don't have a sire. Played one and very impressed what you get for the price. Had a 73 P jazz I had bought for cheap. Fixed it up and it played great. Even better the day before I sold it. Regret that one. I have 2 American Pro's one P and one jazz. Very impressed.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021