Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky: Cool, Refined, Yet "Oh-So" Sophisticated...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Dec 13, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well, it has been a most welcome season of giving and especially taking in the jokey household, and my 6-8 month wait for my Sadowsky PJ-5 is finally over. say hello to my new numero uno. simple, understated kickassness has never been sweeter. and they say black goes w/ everything! hrmph!

i had been smarting eversince i sold my gorgeous teal green metallic PJ-5 to mr. D. Wilson, and roger & co. were only happy to ablige. my V-5 has that jazzy tone we all know and love, but this one is all meat and potatoes with a healthy kick to the gut.

i'm not going to go into finite detail about how the neck was made from a 1,500 old maple cut from the forests of southern oregon, or the super reinforced tunable mounting pegs made of plexi-glass, or the uber rare brazilian top that only two people and a mosquito used as a nest. no, this is a "workhorse", made for the daily grind. will it buy my house and car? heck, if i try hard enough, why not? ;)

but i will say, interestingly, the neck width on this one feels just a tad slimmer than my V-5. also, the body's waist looks a touch slimmer, too. if anything, its like my bass was patterned after Hugh McDonald's own PJ-5, which felt VERY similar to mine. heck, i guess i got the HughM signature model!

i asked Roger about this, and he said, some basses/necks need a bit of a shimming and shaving. course, i like to think the bass was specifically measured down to my "Earl Boykins" like stature. :p

no doubt, shizzies, this is my new first call, trusty sidekick. dont get me wrong, i LOVE my other basses, but yes, and as corny as it sounds, sometimes, only a sadowsky will do. :cool:

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Man stop giving me GAS, this and the 635? Holy cow! But seeing how your other stuff is going on the shelf, how bout you put it on my shelf where I'll take good care of em?

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Congrats. Some day you and I will have as many Sads as Bikeplate.

4. Congrats Joker! I know just how you feel. I just got this last Friday and can't put it down!

http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/4166.html

My numero uno to say the least! I am going to post a review of her after I put a few more gigs on her! I want an Original P and a PJ5 next LOL!!

Enjoy her!

Peace,

T

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    BEAUTIFUL! I lust in the worst way for a Modern 24 and vintage J.

6. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Cool Sadowsky there "Joker"!

Don't dare let "JRBrown" see that bass or you might not have it very long ... Oh, I think he digs the Maple board with that color combo though, your safe :D

Congrats!

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Very cool Im very jealous. Need a PJ!!!

Rob

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I dig that!

Enjoy.

Marshall

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Well done Jae! You've got quite an arsenal over there now, eh? :smug:

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats on the new PJ 5, Sadowsky's Rock. It feels like the neck on my Greenburst 5 was cut to fit my hand like a glove. All the best with it , Keep Rockin. :bassist:

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I see chocolate cake with white icing. Or would that be white cake with chocolate icing? Either way, it's yummy. Congrats!! :)

12. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Very cool !!
    (Mint green pickguard would be nice on that bass)

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Wow... that is simply beautiful. Congrats! P-J's have been getting my GAS level up lately.

14. mondogarage

mondogarage

Nov 29, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    +1 on the mint green pickguard...tortoise would be sweet, too. But even as it is, that is one beeeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful bass. Congrats! :bassist:

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that bass haunts me. it totally reminds me of my "first" sadowsky that i ultimately had to take back. :(

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :bag: :ninja:

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe,

just you wait until next year's GTG... :smug:

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

nice description! the olympic white finish does make me wanna take a bite outta it.

and yea, guys,

when i first asked about a mint green guard, the guys in the shop balked, saying parchment was better, and i kinda agree. the green sorta makes the olympic white finish seem more well, green. the parchment brings out the cream and off white aspects which i dig. i have a Suhr strat that has the mint look, and i'm having a parchment guard put on for kicks.

besides, roger was ever so kind enough to include a tortoise guard for my bass for my tortoise jones.

19. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    tortoise is the word that came to my head when I saw the pictures. by the way, congrats for another great Sadowsky.

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    IMO, the Sadowsky PJ5 is THE SHEITE!