Sadowsky Copy by ESP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6-3-2, Jun 24, 2004.

1. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Even though I personally don't care to Sadowsky basses, there's plenty of people on this forum that do. I found this one at the ESP Japan Website. It actually looks pretty cool. Only difference really, it has ESP custom pickups, and a 3 band eq. Expensive though list around $3,000 but can't say a Sadowsky it too much cheaper, unless it's a Metro. There's a bigger pic and full specs here
  2. For that price, go for a real Sadowsky. I think it's odd that ESP is essentially copying the Sadowsky design and making expensive basses. You'd expect them to make cheaper imitations that more people could afford.
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well the Artist models ESP makes are exact replicas of the Artist models, which basically means custom shop quality(along with the price). Odds are too it's probably cheaper for people in Japan to buy that ESP bass then it is to get a NY Sadowsky, I'd prefer getting it, because however similar it is to a Sadowsky it's not, and i'd prefer that because I can't buy into that Sadowsky mystique, headstock looks better too, and man I think the Sadowsky headstock is UGLY.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The artist models ESP is not exact replicas.

Kirk Hammett's personal guitars are set necks. The KH-2 is a bolt-on. I believe the LTD KH-602 is actually a more accurate rendition.
  5. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well maybe replica was the wrong word, but still they are made by the same people, still custom shop quality instruments. Also artist instruments seem to be a bigger deal in Japan, there's 18 different artists who have their own line of guitars/basses. Not just one artist edition per player either, some have up to 8.
  6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    It's funny when you said "ESP copy of Sadowsky" because that's saying "ESP copy of Sadowsky copy of Fender" :)
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I thought the same thing, when I read the thread title.
  9. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Isn't that a Fender Jazz? :D
  10. Ditto. Except "ESP copy of Valenti copy of Sadowsky copy of Fender" ;)
  11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

Nino uses Warmoth headstock , which he then carves into a pretty cool design of his own . :cool:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

" Sadowsky Basses make me Giggle on the inside :) "
  13. "Immitation is the highest form of flattery"
  14. ESP makes expensive stuff...LTD is the cheaper line which i think most people associate ESP with.
    Tom Barney plays an ESP jazz and it sounds/looks great!

True, i heard they actually share the same shop as Schecter custom shop.
  16. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Metal, you can't quote yourself all the time.
  17. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars

You think the Sadowsky headstock is ugly, yet the ESP "copy" (I'd say "ripoff") is almost exactly the same as a Sadowsky headstock.

And you can't "buy into the Sadowsky mystique"? Have you ever played one?

sorry it wont happen again

I guess it is all a mater of taste in what you like, i actually like Sadowsky's headstock better then fender, just look at those hour glass curves. ;)
  20. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

glad I wasn't the only one that caught that...