Sadowsky decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Mar 2, 2005.

Top or no top

Poll closed Mar 9, 2005.
  1. Blocks/binding & no pretty (quilted/flamed maple) top

57 vote(s)
  2. Pretty top (quilted/flamed maple) & no blocks/binding

50 vote(s)
  1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    All righty you nutz, I need your opinions.
    Check this out:
    If you had in the mid 2000's to spend on a Sadowsky 5 which would it be:
    A new Ultra Vintage Metro:
    Trans blue ash body, rosewood fingerboard (with blocks and binding), pearl pickguard
    A used NYC 5 with a pretty top (quilted or flamed maple) but you color options and fingerboard may be up in the air depending on what is currently on the market and no blocks/binding.

I like a pretty top, but I also like the idea of the blocks/binding as well.

To me, having owned both NYC and Metro Sadowskys, it's pretty much a toss up between the two basses. My NYC's were older with the slightly thinner headstock and no graphite in the neck (just like the Metro necks).

Please, none of this "well how about XXX brand bass?!?!" because I spent tens of thousands of dollars to figure out that I like Sadowskys.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Your ultra vintage Metro sounds like a great combo. :bassist:
  3. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think pretty tops are out nowadays, get a solid color bass and you'll never get tired of it.....IMO of course;)
  4. The fashion circle continues to rotate around and around.
  5. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Well yeah... but solid colors will never go out of style, that's what I was trying to say;)
  6. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    I agree, a solid (or transparent in this case) will always be in fashion, but a "traditional" quilt or flame also never goes out of style.
    I dunno. :meh:
    Lets see where this goes, you guys helped out with my F Bass color choice (killer blue burst on my BNF5) and it's sweet as hell.
    I figure a used NYC will be about the same price as a new Metro, so it's a wash price wise for me.

I talked to Low Down Sound today about ordering a UVM, I'll know delivery time and such in a day or two. Hopefully by then I'll have nailed down the choices.
    At the shop today it was a split decision to the same poll posted here.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I have 3. All have transparent finishes. My metro is trans blue over ash. My NYC's are red trans over quilt and caramel burst over quilt. Ive had 9 others. Many were vintage models with solid colors. I think my next bass will be a black metro with black blocks and binding with a black pickguard. HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    too bad you couldn't find the one that was on Ebay a while back-
    an NYC with trans black finish on Ash and blocks and binding! in the mid 2000's! i would have gone for it, but my daughter needed to eat that week, the brat!
    somehow, i would go with the NYC, no particular eason, just gut feeling.
    Looked at the Vintage Metro at NAMM- Carey Nordstrand was with me.. his comment: "flawless"
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Crud! I wish you'd've told me that last week. Now I'm going to be stuck with this one.
  11. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I tried to tell you, but I couldn't agree with myself to tell you:eyebrow: ;)
  12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Saw that one A. It weighed a ton so I didnt get it. I want a solid black paint job, though. Also, I want another 4!!

13. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Yeah , sucks to be you huh?!?!?! ;)

We'll see.
    I sold my last Sadowsky (a NYC) to Jonathan Starr (a TB'r) and regret it. That one had "it". Ask him, he'll tell ya!

I hear what your saying Adrian, but the Metro's are killin' me. Everyone I played has been stellar.
    And for the money?!?!?!
    But if a nice PJ 5 with a nice top popped up, I would be all over it!
    Once I get my next Sadowsky, if it's not a PJ5, my Metro 5 will be converted.
  14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mike, With your money and credentials ( the original Menudo bass player!) You should buy both! I voted for the pretty top even though I love pearl bocks on a Maple board. Lately I've had a jones for a pretty top with pickguard like this, don't know why maybe it's just a mood i'm in. The used one sounds like a great idea, you can't go wrong with one of rogers basses used. But that new PJ5 Metro rogers talkin up sounds awfull tempting,choices, choices......
  15. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Yeah, I agree buy a phone booth;)
  16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Ya know, I think there is something ultra hip, cool and classy with a simple stained top and Mother of Pearl Block inlays in the fingerboard. I'm sort of leaning to the understated sporty elegance of simplicity versus coffee table topped basses. I own one of each and love them both, but my '59 Tobacco burst Ash topped bass is just speaking to me lately. (F Bass) But I feel the same about Sadowsky's. I love the Vintage look and vibe.

I'm not sure if this is true with Sadowsky's, but it has been said by others, and is certainly my experience as well: My all Ash F Bass BN5 (no exotic top) clearly has a superiour sonic edge over my otherwise identical Quilt Maple topped F Bass. Both have Maple Fingerboards, Ash bodies, same electronics. Both sound great, but the All Ash bass has punch and growl that the other one does not have. I've been told by others that they also believed that the Exotic top basses don't 'quite' have the same sonic edge.

But at that level of quality, it's not like either would ever be a bad thing. Just different.

I vote for a UV bass with the ultra cool Vintage look.
  17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Limo, I diden't no I wass goinge to be grded on my spling!
    Tanks , did I past on puntiashin two?
  18. Don't sweat the decision.
    Whichever you choose, you'll purchase the other Sadowsky for your next bass.
  19. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    my liver hopes you won't post pics of your new Sad! ;)
  20. Personally, My next one will be a 5 String Vintage Tint Ultra Retro Metro with Block inlays and White Binding!! Just something about that vibe oozes MOJO...can't wait to get one...I have even toyed with the idea of prepaying for one to make sure my wait is not too long..!!!