Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky DI/pre or OBP-3 outboard?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nemo, Apr 27, 2005.

1. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Got you? No, Aguilar do not make outboard version of OBP-3 (yet... :ninja: ).
    But it is no big deal to put OBP3 into metal box and have it outboard.. so I just came to an idea..
    If you could choose between the two, which one would you prefer and why?

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I cant imagine the Sadowsky Pre not improving any bass IMO!!! Roger just has picked the right frequencies.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you have an onboard passive tone control, either will work for you - just a question of whether you want 2 band or 3 band.
    If you don't have onboard passive tone control, then you might want to consider 3 aguilar since it'll let you cut treble - the sadowsky is boost only.
    Or did you mean the aguilar obp-1, which is 2 band and boost only?

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    IMO it's not a direct comparison (if you are comparing to the OBP-3). Depends on your bass(es). I have both the DB924 and the Sadowsky outboard and the OBP-3. Altough the Sadowsky and the Aguilar DB924 are designed by the same person,have the same frequencies, and are both boost only, they are worlds apart. I have two fender Jazz basses that are the same vintage. One has a rosewood fingerboard and the other has a maple board. The maple board sounds better with the aguilar and the rosewood sounds better with the sadowsky.

What sounds are your trying to coax out of your bass??

5. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Sadowsky, I use one with my Passive 79 P bass and its probably the warmest/ smoothest/ easiest outboard pre I have ever used so far ... in the studio and live I am able to dial in a great tone with minimal effort. I have not used it with an active bass, though I am planning on trying it out.