Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Dilema

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Feb 7, 2005.

1. I have a Vintage 4 Jazz ordered from the boys at Sadowsky.
    Build time looks like 6 months according to the man himself.
    My dilema is , while I already put in my order and sent my deposit in,
    I feel torn between sticking with my original order or changing it to a Vintage 4 with the PJ configuration.
    I love that P bass tone and then second the J tone.
    Any of you out there have a Sad PJ?
    Does it really sound like a P or not?
    Iv'e played some Fenders with that setup and was not impressed with the tone or the punch. In comparison the P always sounded better than the PJ tone Iv'e played!
    Any thoughts about the sadowsky's tone??
    I wonder if it's too late to change my order? :meh:

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I would call Sadowsky first thing tomorrow morning and put a hold on your order until you figure out what you want. I mean after all, you're spending abut $3K USD right?

Figure out what you want, then have Sadowsky continue the order.

3. I think they can route the neck pu cavity to fit a J or P: only the pickguard assembly would need to be swapped. My PJ sounds quite P with the neck pup solo's. YMMV.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I had a pj for a while. Very, very nice. Probably should have kept it. LOL If you need a P tone from time to time, go for it

Rob

5. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Tom,

Check out basstasters.com. . . Todd just ran the new Epifani Quest preamp through the motions with a Sadowsky PJ. One of the clips is pretty long and I think would give you a good idea of what you're trying to figure out.

6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I have a Sadowsky PJ. It is probably the best sounding bass I've ever heard. The P is in fact very P like, either active, or passive (with the vintage tone control in use). If you want the best of both worlds, this is probably the way to go. Tell Roger you want your bass to be a PJ.

BTW, the best is both on together. Just killer.

7. I've got a NYC PJ4 and I really like this bass alot. I never owned a older Fender P or J for that matter so I can't compare, but do a search on this subject and you'll find out a lot of opinions. I think the PJ does a very good job of sounding like the traditional P from what I've read, heard, and experienced so far. All I can tell you is it's a great sounding instrument and is versitile. Mostly I just leave both pickups on full and occasionally tweak to taste or for a little more cut. Jim S has the solutions for you... have them cut the neck pickup cavity to fit either J or P and you'll be set. I would order teh PJ and go from there unless you have other basses to cover and you won't be using just one bass all the time.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think it's probably the most versitile thing Roger has.
    The P side is as P as any P bass and the J side has all the Jaco-esque sound you could want (with frets).

There's plenty of good in between the two extreams as well where as the VJ I tried was all Jazz all the time (not that there's anything wrong with that)

And as has already been pointed out, I'm sure Roger would be happy to tweek the rout to accept both. That way you can drive yourself nuts going back and forth between PJ, reverse PJ and JJ.

I did that for about 2 months. It was big :D :D

If you get ANY Sadowsky with a pick guard and don't give youself the option of trying the reverse PJ configuration...you're cheating yourself at the finish line. IMHO.

And yeah, the reverse PJ just out of the notch toward the jazz PU just....kills.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you had to pick one would you rather have a bass with a P or a J pick up?.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If I had to choose??????
    It would depend on the wood.
    Mine is alder/RW and I found the Reverse PJ was clearly IT for me.
    It just nails all the old school vibe but yet you can still EQ a monster modern slap sound out of it without a lot of angst.

If I was going Ash/ Maple I would probably look hard at a JJ.

Now that I think about it...I AM looking for a Metro MV5.

11. MAJOR METAL

Why not one of each? ;)

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you favor the P tone (as I always have) then go for the PJ: it nails the P tone better than JJ or reverse PJ. If you favor the J tone, then go for JJ. Reverse P plus J is a nice compromise; has its own sound.

This assumes that you have finicky ears... but that's a safe bet because most of us do! :)

13. Just a quick note to Tom, since you are getting a four string that reverse P is pretty much for a 5 string because it affects the B if you have one. If I'm wrong about this sorry. I never heard of the PJ/4 having a reverse P but I suppose they could....

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm workin' on it.... :help:

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    That is very true but it also moves the high side pole peices into the exact position of a standard jazz which has a positive effect with slap/ pop.

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I'm boxing up a Sadowsky J to have converted to a PJ. I'll retain the front pup and original pickguard so that I can switch back to a JJ within minutes.

JB

17. MAJOR METAL

I have only heard of the reveresed P for the Low B.

18. Thanks to you all for all your help and suggestions.
    I think I will be very happy with the PJ configuration.
    I talked with Kevin at Sadowsky today and changed my order.
    I will put a slight delay to the building but I think it will be well worth the wait.
    He recommended that I select another body which turned out to be a better looking one at that!
    Any of you guys mind sharing pics of your PJ's?
    Here is a pic of the body I selected.....It's a beaut !!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Now the wait :crying:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Here's mine. At the time, and maybe now, the only full-sized PJ ever made by Roger.

20. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Tom,

That's a sweet looking piece of ash. Congrats.

keep groooovin'
    Fran