Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Dilemna ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Starrchild, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I have a nice little problem, my person is thinking hard about selling my AtelierZ 5, for a Sadowsky Metro with I haven't had a chance to play, but I heard nothing but great things about them, is there any former/present Atelierz players are here who's had a chance to a/b these 2 basses.

Thanks
    Starchild.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well, they are built by the same guy , for one- if you got an olde Atelier- i believe the Metros may be a bit lighter in weight- the feedback for Metros has been nothing short of spectacular.

3. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    They are pretty much the same thing. I have been looking for an AtelierZ, PM me.

4. Do the Atelier's have the same pups, preamp, shielding, neck profile, body size as a Metro? :confused:

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you know, i for one, was thinking about this thread earlier and saying " i hope no one thinks i said they are the same bass, because they are not "
    - so for the record- they ARE made by the same guy, but very different basses!- Metros are to Rogers specs which are much different

6. BlountEdge

BlountEdge I play (mostly) jazz basses Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Former contributing writer for Bassics Magazine
    Starchild,

I had my first chance to play a few Metros earlier this week. Although I like them a lot and plan to buy one, I also own two 4-string Atelier Z basses (an earlier ash/maple and a more recent 15th Anniversary one-of-a-kind) and I would not trade either for the Metros I played. Not that there's anything wrong with them....they're great, but not enough to justify losing one of my Atelier Zs. Is there something about your Atelier that you don't like? If not, my advise would be to play a Metro before sacrificing your Atelier.

BlountEdge :bassist:

7. The Atelier Z 5-strings I've played had tighter string spacing and a narrower neck profile than a Sadowsky 5. They also had gloss finished necks, versus satin on newer Sads. Body size was like that of a Jazz Bass, whereas Metros are slightly smaller. IIRC the Atelier Z pickups were true single coils and the preamp was similar to the Sadowsky (volume/volume/treble/bass). I'm not sure how much your bass weighs Starchild, but the Ateliers I've played were heavy -- probably 12lbs. It's my understanding that Atelier uses heavy northern ash bodies to cop the '70s Jazz vibe. Most metros seem to weigh in at under 10lbs.

Atelier Z basses were made by the same builder who currently runs the Sadowsky Tokyo shop, Yoshi Kukichi. He sold Atelier a couple of years ago and moved to NY to apprentice with Roger. If it weren't for the weight, I'd probably own an Atelier Z right now. Instead I bought a Sadowsky Tokyo.

8. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Yoshi Kikuchi left Atelier Z about 11 years ago. There is really very little in common between the two lines at this point.

Roger

9. jb64

jb64

May 4, 2003
    Connecticut, USA!
    Endorsing Artist: Carvin Guitars, Bass Amps & Pro Audio
    I agree with Roger. I have a Atelier Z Custom 5 Maple board, Ash body with a Bartolini 3 band 18volt system and I also have a Sadowsky Vintage 5 Morado board Alder body. These are two totally different instruments! The Atelier Z is 12 pounds while the Sadowsky is 10. To me, they sound very different, obviously because of the different woods but also just the way they were put together. The Sadowsky has a VERY thick supportive tone while the Atelier Z is thinner in tone.

Since getting my Sadowsky I don't even play the Ateiler Z any more.

Carl

10. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    are Atelier's made from Warmoth parts?

:bag:

...just a joke...sorry.

11. OK, let's line up for this one. :hyper:

12. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000