Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky (Dimarzio) pickup question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KenToby, May 15, 2004.

1. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Just bought a pair of Sadowsky (Dimarzio) 5 string pickups with 3 conductors: Red, White and Bare.

I assumed the red to be hot and the bare and white are ground. I installed them in a passive Fender Jazz; they work fine unless I have both volumes set to the same spot. The volume goes down by about 1/3 and the low B looses its bottom. Again, as long as the volume knobs are set differently there is no problem.

Does any one know the correct wire scheme for Dimarzio's 2 conductor (red and white with bare) pickups?

Thanks,

KT...

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

I got a dimarzio wire diagram with a pair of DP 126 PJ's I got but they're 4 wire and Dimarzio doesn't actually say anywhere this is hot and this is negative. And the diagram I have doesn't even have red and white on the same coil. But from looking at the switche options they have, red should be hot. You should be able to run a meter between the red and white and get continuity - for you, they've got to be at opposite ends of the same coil cause the bare will be ground and should have no conitinuity to the other wires.

Don't know if you've got singles or HB's but I know Bart has specified in some of they're switch options for HB's that you could run into something like that if you don't have the poles facing in the right direction.

But every once in a while you run across something wierd like that and it sounds like you might be getting some cancellation goint on between the pups. I also noticed that on blend pots in the center position that the same kind of thing happens sometimes, but to a lessor degree.

You might try going to harmonycentral.com (or just doing a general online search for reviews for your bass and see if anyone else has had the problem) and check their reviews. Also sometimes the authors leave an email contact so you might find one you can email.

Another option is to email Dimarzio cause I think they're pretty good about response, or Sadowsky for that matter.

Oh yeh, and DavidWilson is into Dimarzio's. He could probably help. He posted to my Dimento P thread so you can contact him through that (And I sent him an email about it as well).

Good luck

3. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I reversed the wires on the bridge pickup and everything is OK now!

KT...