Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Electronics USA vs. Tokyo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeonD, Mar 5, 2003.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Can anyone compare the sounds of the two preamps that Sadowsky uses on the USA vs. the Tokyo basses?

I know that the USA pre is boost only treble and bass while the Tokyo is boost / cut treble and boost only bass.

Are there any sonic differences?

Thanks,
    LeonD

2. I have no clue. Maybe check the website or give Sadowsky a call. www.sadowsky.com

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or maybe just wait for someone who does have a clue to post. :)

brad cook

4. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    Yeah, I have a Sadowsky RJ5 (Japan). And I have a buddy with an american jazz 4. Both natural finish ash, maple necks. Only other diff is mine has inlays.

Tonally, the sound VERY similair set flat with equal amounts of both neck and bridge. The AM seems to have a bit more growl when leaning toward bridge, but other than that, it seems a wash. Truely the same sonically IMHO.

I actually prefer the Japan pre (I have to, cause thats the one I own:) in that I often roll-off highs as I've historically used passive set-ups, and I can't imagine wanting a pre where I can't roll off the highs. I understand a lot can be accomplished with fingers, but sometimes I like to be downright hmmmmmmffffff, you know?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I actually prefer the USA pre (I have to, cause thats the three I own:) The JPN's have a warmer tone & the USA's are alot brighter. We've had a few customers come in & like the Tokyo better. It's a matter of personal prefrence.

6. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I like the Tokyo better...fatter bottom to me! The high is not as bright as the Am pre.:bassist:

7. andrethemidget

andrethemidget

Apr 24, 2011
    I have a Tokyo with an NYC preamp and it has a monster bottom