Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky, Elrick, R-Bass??? Help!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Feb 19, 2003.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am seriously thinking of selling my Lakland Deluxe 55-94 and using the proceeds for one of these:

Sadowsky Vintage 5 with P/J configuration. 21 frets. White with tortoise shell guard and rosewood board.

R-Bass (double cut, neck through) with madagasscar ebony top, ebony board, bart soaps, 5-piece neck, alder body, and 3-way EQ.

Elrick neck through. Burl top. Ash body. Wenge board. Jazz barts. 3-way EQ.

All are near new and all are under $2000.

What would you do?? :confused:

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd say buy the one you like best. I've never played an R bass or an Elrick & I'm not really fond of Bartolini's so my choice would be the Sadowsky, but that's not a suprise. :)

3. S A D O W S K Y !

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Buy the R-Bass or Elrick. Send me the link to the Sadowsky. ;)

How much you asking for your Lakland?

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Sent price via sealed classified TB email.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    ELRICK

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Beats me:D

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I guess I will have to go it alone.:bawl:

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    This is the Sadowsky. What do you think?

[​IMG]

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get it!!!

edit: Wait a minute! You found THAT for UNDER 2k?! :eek: :cool:

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I'd suggest the Sadowsky just on resale alone - if you can get it for under $2k, then even if you DON'T like it you can sell it for a profit - then try something else...

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Would $1800 be a good deal?

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's rhetorical, right?:)

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Yeah. I kinda thought it was. That is why it's my current favorite. I need something that might be fetching if I don't like it. Not.;)

15. It's a steal.

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    that's causing you GAS for a change in axes? I know I sold mine too. I won't push you onto F bass any more. Seems like you're off that kick. If it's "sound" that you feel you were missing in the Lakland, or that you didn't like the MM vibe the bass just can't lose itself of, let us know. That might help.

That is a gorgeous Sadowsky. The problem is whether it has the midrange and the right midrange as part of it's standard sound. If it does or you have the right frequency adjustment on your rig either with a parametric or graphic, or luck out that the mid tone control is exactly right, the Sadowsky's don't have any mid adjustability.

Again, Nino, I'm sorry, but I feel that 40 hz is too low and that the treble boost is set too high to be practical on stage adjustments. There's lotsa guys who disagree, but I'll bet in the variety of venues I play at, they'd be pulling their hair out wondering why their wonderful finished beautiful fretwork, excellent electronics and playability, lightweight Sadowsky's don't sound as good as Will Lee's or in the studio.

There are some people who don't like Barts. How much experience do you have with the "skinny" Barts Elrick uses on his NJ5 Standards? I know nothing about R basses. What Rick do you seem to see in them? What interests you about them?

Otherwise, play the white Sadowsky, play an elrick, play an R bass somewhere. Return policies or not, they're also a pain in the ass necessity if ya gotta use 'em. Better to pick the right or the best one by playing it through your equipment, not take our words for it. Our words only serve as guides to either confirm something good or bad....what you hear or not. We're not the gospel.

L

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Larry, you're right. Not much background. It's like this. The Modulus I have is working for me, like it or not. I have the Lakland that is more or less something to play as a diversion at home, or to serve as emergency money if I get hit by a truck. If I trade out the Lakland for the Sadowsky, I would get to try another high end bass, and apparently, at this price, I still have my emergency fund.

I suppose everything you said about the mid range aspect of the S sound is true. One thing though. I spent a lot of time with a P-bass in the early years, so this might be retro for me.

What would give the Mod a run for the money would be an Elrick with soaps, but that's not available.

You can keep talking me into an F, if the mids are there. One may still be there at $2000. The mids are mainly why I like the Mod in the music I do. Punchy and jealous for a place in the mix. Keep on convincing me about the F. It may still be there.

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey now Larry - you KNOW i'm the gospel :D jk!

I totally agree with Larry on the Sadowsky preamp adjustments - unless you're using it as a way to get "your tone", the Sad preamp isn't good for on-stage subtle EQ... however the passive sound is really quite impressive... and i find my sadowsky sounds 150,000 times better IN a mix. That's where they really shine, not when you're at home playing for yourself.

My friend Josh (FunkyJ here) has 2 Elrick NJS's with the skinny barts - and I have a NJS with aero's. I REALLY dislike the sound of the barts - sounds like they chopped off the highs/lows and compressed the rest - at least to my ears.

However, I asked Rob Elrick why he doesn't put anything else in his basses and he went off on me for like 10 minutes about how everything else sucks and bartolini is what everyone who knows anything wants... uhhh... sure, whatever :)

19. FunkyJ

FunkyJ

Jan 31, 2003
    Tracy, CA
    Like Dr. Vanselus (PhD in funkology) said, I have two Elricks with the Bartolini Jazz pickups in them. Overall, I'd say that the pickups are a little muddy sounding. Just from playing the basses unplugged, you can tell they have a lot of resonance and snap, but this gets covered up a bit by the pickups.

Ouch, I thought you liked my Elrick's. :D

Seriously, the barts aren't terrible, but I AM thinking about getting some Aeros made to replace them.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    He's right;)

Once again, I seem to have gear that flies in the face of what others apparently experience. For the life of me the only way I could get the sounds described out of any of my Elricks would be to intentionally try to screw up the sound.

I have three, one with a single Bart soapbar and two with the skinny Barts (a four and a five). All of them have tremendous lows and highs. The four string (E-Volution fretted) in particular has serious highs and a vey distinctive snap to it in addition to world class punch. The Custom NJS may have the most gorgeous low B I've ever heard and I know several people who've played it who will agree.

I guess my point is, it's apparently possible to hear things waaaaay differently from the next guy. In my case I'm working with an amp that's set flat and typically keep the basses that way so I can't attribute the great sound I get to tweaks on either, which brings up the obvious question: how are you guys getting muffled sound and chopped off lows and highs from basses that typically, at least in my experince, exhibit either?

I'd really love to hear how you do it.

The other thing that gets me is that, while the majority of my basses have Bart pickups and preamps, very few of them sound alike. Given the supposed intrinsic Bartolini characteristics, that seems pretty odd. I don't have any basses that sound muffled or even close to muddy and the all seem to have an overabundance of highs and lows on tap, if I choose to tweak them further.

Maybe muddy means something else entirely.

I have a friend who, when first trying any bass, immediately cranks the treble bands. My guess is that there's some hearing loss or he hasn't figured out that at volume, you usually don't do the same tweaks as at low volume.