1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky Flat string life?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Doodaddy, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I've got the Sadowsky flats (SBF45B) on my Yamaha RBX775. I played them for quite some time (10 or so months :meh:) before I finally got my Sansamp in.

Now that I have the pre-amp I've noticed they are.... dead or muddy sounding and I'm about to be buying new strings, so I'm a tad confused.

I love the feel of the flats, but I don't know exactly what they will sound like now that I'm not going straight in. I guess I'm looking for more of a "brighter" flat. Are Sadowsky's a good choice again?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    D"addario Chromes, and Rotosound Flats are the two brightest ones I've tried.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I had a set of Sodowsky flats on my fretless Bongo for close to two years. Great strings, but they are not the brightest flats by a long stretch.

You call them "muddy," I call them "warm and fuzzy." Try D'Addario Chromes like Senor Queso has suggested.

4. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Well, I didn't know if the "deadnes" was due to the age or the string......

I'm tempted to try them out again, but I don't want to be disappointed.

5. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I use them all the time. I find them to be on the bright side. I certainly respect cheezewiz's opinion, but I would definitely put them in the class of some of the brightest flats I've ever played.

I don't let them last anywhere near as long as you. Four months on, then they come off.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Try the Chromes. Real nice strings. The Rotos to me have high mids, but not too much grunt. If you can't get bright enough tones from the Chromes, then flats are probably not your thing.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think it may be your Sansamp settings.

8. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    you can't go wrong with a set of Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats. They're a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Aren't the Sadowsky flats really LaBella's? In which case they should have settled in within a month and stayed constant for a few years.

I agree with canopener, there is a good chance it is the SansAmp. Remember, it is trying to mimic a tube amp being pushed hard. It kills the lows and highs and compresses what's left.

If you do want brighter flats, the chromes are a good choice.