Sadowsky flats, anybody?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lefty007, Sep 9, 2005.

1. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'm about to put a new set of flats in my bass. I have been using TI flats on and off for years, and although I love their sound, I wish sometimes for a tad more tension.

Different question: Do Fenders 9050s have a green/light turquoise silk wrap? I have a set of old flats with that description that sound pretty good, brighter than TIs, and have more tension, but I don't know exactly what brand they are. . .

2. I LOVE the Sadowsky Flats.....I don't use any other flat now...tension is as good as a regular string and they are a bit brighter than most flats and sit well in a mix. Not overly dead sounding but still gives you that thud that a flat is suposed to....You have to try them to see for yourself.....HIGHLY recommend you try a set....

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've used Sadowsky flats on a couple of my basses, and they currently reside on my fretless Bongo. I've still got TI Jazz Flats and D'Addario Chromes on bass, too. They all sound and feel different, but are great strings.

That said, if I could only use one brand, I'd probably have to give the nod to the Sadowskys. They have a slightly higher tactile appeal than the TIs and chromes, and have a clearer voice than a lot of flats.

They really shine with Sadowsky onboard electronics, too.
  4. chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    After I got my Metro to fill the roundwound jazz bass sound, I threw a set of sad flats on my old Hamer USA Cruise and I think they are great. Great feel, great tone, and unlike the TIs, great dynamics. I found the TIs way to flexible and "spikey", where the sadowskys have much more consistent output.
  6. Yes, Fender 9050s have the light green/light turquoise silk wrap at the ball end. No wrap at all at the headstock end.
  7. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Thanks all for the replies. :)
  8. What Tommix said. Well said as usual. :)
  9. Thanks Big String....I take it you are still as equally enamored with the Sadowsky flats yourself? I bet you are digging the 750 as well....was curious though, what do you think of the Tri210 or have you had a chance with it yet? I got one on the way..... :hyper:

10. Hi Tommix, hope things are better for you my friend.
    I still like the Sad Flats a lot but was jonesing to try some rounds on my PJ4 which I did last weekend... sounded awesome. I still have several sets of flats and will go back and fourth most likey. I'll probably see how they sound on my VJ4 too. Haven't received my Tri210L yet but am looking forward to it. Used the EW/DB750 last night on my last outsider of the year... big backyard party pig-roast... lots of food, beer, campfire...and plenty of booty from my rig. :D I haven't brought any other amp for a since I got the DB750. I'm hoping I'll like the Tri210L with my WWU for smaller stuff. I still have my trusty HT112 for the wee/ultra light gigs. Be sure and let us know how your liking your new 210 too. Hope you get it soon.