Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Flats on Sadowsky Basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tommixx, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Anyone have experience with this setup? I have tried the Sadowsky Nickel wounds and HIGHLY recommend that everyone at least try a set. Best set of strings I ever used! I have not tried their flats. In fact, I have not tried ANY flats on a Sadowsky bass. I am going to stick a set on my Vintage 4 next week and was just curious if anyone else had any experience at all with this setup.

T

2. Have you tried the TI Powerbass or Infields yet and if so how do the Sadowsky Nickels compare. I ordered Sad Nick for my new PJ4 but they came with some other Rocco Preista Stings which I took off pretty quick. Sadowsky said they would send me a set but I haven't seen them yet..... Come on Frank send me Dem'Strings. :hyper:

3. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Tommixx, I've been waiting to see if you get replies to this since I don't have a Sadowsky bass. However, I do have the Sad flats on my Roscoe LG3005. These are great strings with the boom of a flat but still retain some brightness. For my bright Roscoe, they were a great way to darken the sound and feel wonderful on the fingers.

If you try them, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

4. Big String - I think I have tried just about every kind of string out there! hex core, tapered, non tapered, blah blah blah!! LOL! But I can honestly say that I was so impressed with the strings on the frist Sadowsky I got, I called the shop and asked what kind of strings they were. Imagine my surprise to find out they were his own brand! The new nickels...anyway, I ordered another set of 5's and a set of 4's on the spot just to try on a couple of my other basses as a reference and now I don't play any other string! PERIOD!

I am however, looking to try a set of flats on this particular Sadowsky Vintage 4 that I have because I am using it as my main recording and live bass and I want to get more of an old school Motown, Soul vibe and I think flats will do it perfectly! I was also very impressed by Treena's clips here: (listen to Dream Within a Dream - it is a Sadowsky V5 with TI Flats unbelievable slap tone even!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/treenamusic.htm

I ordered them on Thursday so I should have them in a day or 2. I will post my results soon!

Thanks,

T

5. Big String - Forgot to mention this....They had such a run on the new string that they under estimated the initial demand it seems! (My advertising only exasperated the situation I'm sure!) Anyway...as of Thursday they just had gotten in a new batch and QC'd them...I would suggest you give them a call, I guarantee that they would send you out a set ASAP! Their customer service is second to none.

As far as the string comparison you mentioned...I think the Sadowsky is more well balanced tonally than Any other string I have tried...not as brittle and overly bright (IMO) as a lot of stainless rondwounds but clearly defined top end sizzle, tight, punchy bottom without the warbly loose feeling you get from some strings and that razor blade cutting mid attack that you need to really cut through a mix in a band situation, it is all there!!

I actually have not tried the new Infields so a direct comparison is out on that one...There is a set of TI PowerBass on a Marcus Miller 4 that I bought a while back that I just have not changed yet...I got a really good deal on the bass and the strings were already on it....the guy said they were new but I don't think so because they didn't have that "new" feel and seemed a little dull to me at the time....I did not buy the bass because of the strings if you know what I mean...anyway I do not play it that much I am just a bass junkie I guess and it is a real player and for the money i could not say no! The Sadowsky is a smoother feeling string and more even from top to bottom to my ear...

try a set...I don't think you would be disappointed!

T

6. Tommixx
    That is good to hear, I'm wanting to tame the already bright sounding Sadowsky and was pretty disappointed that they didn't send my new PJ with the strings I ordered. I guess that's why I didn't get them since they were just out due to demand. I'll give them a call.

Guess what? I finally took the Lakland Joe Osborn Flats that I installed on my Lakland USA Deluxe 4-94 and switched them with the TI Powerbass strings on my Lakland USA Joe. The Joe bass was made for flats! Dan and Carl at Lakland have been telling me that for a long time..... :meh: Anyway the switch was pleasing to me although the 4-94 sounded good with flats the Joe sounds even better and nails the "ol skoo" vibe to the max. The only thing I'm noticing so far is the E string is a little more thumpy and hollow sounding than the rest of the strings. I noticed if I pluck the E closer to the neck it clears up and sustains a little better which may indicate a pickup or saddle adjustment for the E. ???? Anyway I only played a bit after making the switch and was very pleased with the result. I've wanted to put flats on my Joe ever since I got but didn't for fear the varitey of tunes we do might suffer some from my lack of technique. Flats are really perfect for this bass because it's passive (with yummy Lindey Fralin's) and this IS exactly as Mr. Joe Osborn himself uses, except he is a pick player and I'm not much. The picking sounds fabulous too though. I played a little Grassroots Midnight Confessions which he recored way back when with the Roots. Just nails the sound! If the Joe O sig strings don't work out I'll install the TI Flats I have waiting in my inventory. :bassist:

7. To keep this thread alive....I like what I am reading about these strings. It makes me want to get a set of the flats (5 string set) to try on the Skyline JO 5.

Has anyone else tried the new Sadowsky strings, either roundwound or flats? I just bought the nickle roundwound 5 string set. Really look forward to trying them , but have a set of Fedora extra long nickel roundwounds to try first.

8. Got my Sadowsky Nicks yesterday (Thanks Frank and Nino). I quickly put them on and immediatly noticed the difference between them and the new TI Power Bass I had installed. The TIPB strings are noticabley louder and more zingy, I was waiting for them to calm down but it was taking a long time. The Sad Nicks are very nice but my E string sounds a little warbly and my Drop D tuner seems not to like them as much since the E seems to be hanging up a bit and not tuning until I really give the tuning key a extra amount of play... I don't know if the string is sticking in the nut or the string wrapping is keeping the E from tuning... I'll play some more to night. Also I'm having a heck of a time changing strings on my new Sad. The bridge is cool that you can just put the ball through the end with out running the string tip first through the bridge and over the saddle, but how the heck do you keep it there when going up to the headstock and trying to tighten up and then the ball pops out.... maybe I'm doing somethingn wrong but right now I feel like I need another arm and hand to string it up. " My Father was and Octopus" ( Groucho - Duck Soup) :D

9. bassvegas

bassvegas

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV

10. These are THE DEAL!!!.....Roger has done it again......I don't know what it is but it seems he can do no wrong...if you play flats, nickels, rounds, whatever, try a set of these FLATS......they do not sound like flats....they have a bit of the punch and the brightness that his new nickel wounds have, but they are smooth like a flat should be...I have been playing these in sessions and live gigs for a week and a half to give them a fair test and I gotta say I don't think I will go back....I even had another bassist wanted to buy the set I have right off my bass Sunday night!!

I think these are the schizzle guys...the thing that gets me is I am not a big slapper, maybe 25-30% of the stuff I do requires it...I have other basses and I figured that I would just pick up another one of my basses (my Marcus Miller 4 or Warwick SS2) for that stuff.......WRONG!!! THIS THING KILLS SLAPPING WITH THESE STRINGS!!!! I know, it don't seem natural but I swear you gotta hear it to believe it...I have the treble set at a little less than 50% with the VTC rolled off about 20% Bass at about 50% and move the pickup between center and neck position when I slap and I'm here to tell you it is downright evil how good it sounds through my Demeter/CA9/Bergie Mini Stack Rig....

It just ain't right!!! I need to get some more....I ordered 1 set of these to try and 2 sets of the Sadowsky nickels (which I highly recommend as well!!!) because I know I love the nickels but I think I am going to have start using these Flats exclusively on this Bass and I will probably put a set on my 62 Jazz (Vintage)..

The coolest part is I did not tell any of the other guys I normally play with that I had changed anything and they could tell the difference......my favorite drummer said that the bass "seemed a lot more solid than usual" and a sax player friend I play with in his 60's who has the golden ears and has played with everybody said I "Had the best bass sound he had ever heard"! That is impressive considering the guy has been playing pro for about 45 years and has been on records we have all heard!!

There was a warmth and depth to the Bass that was not there with the nickels. I am not saying that the nickels are not as good or that the flats are better....I REALLY love the Nickels! In fact, until I played his Flats I had converted to Roger's Nickels and was planning on putting them on ALL my Basses! What nailed it for me was a Vocalist I play with who has been in 2 different groups that have been in the top 20....he said "Man I love the way you play that bass...you have the best TONE of anybody I ever played with!" That my friends, is what it is all about for me...TONE...TONE...TONE...!!! That statement made my night! It pretty much says it all about these strings to...try a set...I guarantee you have never seen anything like them in a flat....that is for sure!!!!!!

Peace,

T

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    tommixx what is the tenson like on these strings

12. Tension is GREAT...the same as a regular string...same as the nickels that were on it at least...I did not have to make ANY adjustment at all to the bass after changing the strings....hope that helps!

T

13. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have a set of Sadowsky flats on my Sadowsky P Bass... I just had them installed.. I tested them at Sadowskys shop and they sounded great but have not had the chance to really give them a good road test.. What I do notice is the G string is a very bright sounding string w/o the bass being plugged in to an amp... I'll be back with more info on this topic...

14. I just ordered a set on Friday for my Sad PJ/4. :D
    I'll await your opinion.

15. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I can't believe that flats are that good to slap on. I will have to get some to try out on my Ash/Brazilian Rosewood Sadowsky. Marc

16. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    These sound like the ideal string for me. Anyone know if they will fit my Lak 55-01 running through the body?

17. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Big String,
    Put the ball end in the bridge retainer and pull the string straight to the tuner. Clip the string two tuners past the tuner you need. Now take the ball end out of the bridge retainer, and push the cut end down into the tuner post. Now wrap the string twice around the tuner post, bring the ball end to the bridge (threading it under the string retainer if yours has one), and either tighten or loosen the tuning key slightly to make the ball end stay in the bridge retainer.
    This should give you about two wraps, depending on string guage, and that's all you need with the string retainer.
    Anyway, this eliminates the need for a third hand.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i love my Sadowsky nickels, so much that i use nothing but Sadowsky strings on all my guitars and basses. great string.

just wish that Roger went with the 1st prototype of the Nickelwound string that's on my PJ5. been about a year now, and i refuse to take them off!

and hope you work out the issues, Biggie. guess we all dont have the luxury of having Frank, mike, and the gents in the shop do all our setups. :meh:

19. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings

Hi,
    what gauge did you get?
    Thank you very much

Mo'

20. Same as the stock string... .45 -.105 standard...I LOVE THEM!!!

T