1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Flats Users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shawshank72, Nov 2, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Please give me your experience with these please.
    If you use a pick even better.
    Please describe it all from fresh out the pack to month to months of play time.
    They dont make a set in the size i prefer so was thinking of buying 2 packs and making a custom set of 45-65-80-100.
    This is one of only two flats that i have not played before, the other being pyramids.
    Tired of vague descriptions on the searches i found. Need details please.
    Will be on a passive p bass using a pick.

2. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Have used the thick set on a 5-string Sadowsky P/J, currently using the thinner set on a fretless 34" 5 with a Nordstrand MM pickup, active 3-band bartolini pre, with the mid-cut/boost set at 300 Hz.

I don't use a pick, but I'm thrilled with how pick-like a range of tones I can get on the fretless, with a clicky attack, even though I'm not using fingernails - makes me think I'm in mid-80's stingray with flats and a pick hog heaven. I'm also thinking of a bit of mix and match, as I'm not digging the .40 G-string, and would prefer a .45, but that's somewhat a function of my left-hand not yet developing that light touch that real fretless players have.

Defaulting to generalities, I like the Sadowsky flats because they are so well balanced. Medium tension, not too-anything, and a bit more lively than most flats. Maybe not the very best in many parameters, but nearly the best in ALL parameters, IMO. Also seem to age slowly. My comparison base includes DR flats, LaBella, TI Jazz Flats and Chromes. Hate the Chromes, like the DR flats and TI, but for different reasons. Don't think any of them (well, maybe the Chromes), would be as good as the Sadowskys with a pick.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Thank you

4. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    not very hopefull but labella makes the strings or Roger... whatever that is worth.

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    They're nearly perfect for me: Well balanced tension and great flexibility for flats using the 40-100 set(not nearly as flexy as TI's though) and the tone is fantastic, IMO they are brighter sounding than some of the roundwounds I've used but retain most of the classic flatwound vibe. After a few hundred hours of playtime they lose some of the extended treble and gain a lot more thump, but never sounded dead. I only replaced them after I broke both the D and G strings(I had some rough bridge saddles after playing Roto 66s for a year and didn't notice). I'm a terrible pick player, but they sounded great with one: not as aggressive as Chromes or Fenders, but more full sounding.

I haven't bought them a second time even though I absolutely loved them, Fender flats have a lot of the same qualities(kind of a cross between Sadowsky and Chrome flats) but are half the price.

6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I've been using them for more than 6 yrs now. I started with the light set on my fretless and was 'sold' - great tension, and a full spectrum tonality. I play fingerstyle a with a light touch, and even more so when playing fretless. When I decided to try them on a fretted bass I went with the standard gauge after trying them on a friend's Sadowsky NYC PJ. It let me dig in a bit more when I need it, and the tonality is still the same. As mentioned above, they break in nicely and retain some nice mid tones. None of mine have gotten especially 'thumpy' yet. Previous flat sets include Fender (meh), LaBella Jamerson 760M (thick & thump), Chromes (my choice on my short scale 'Stang - thump but not too much), DR's (too much tension), and TI Jazz Flats (too floppy and wimpy sounding to my ear).

I occasionally use a pick and I find that I can retain the sound I want easily, but I usually need to pick slightly more towards the neck to do it.

Try a standard set 1st... you may just like it as it is.

IHMO - the best flat out there in my experience

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I found the Sadowsky flats to be a lot like the La Bellas. Maybe a little brighter than the La Bellas.

Best flats for pick playing, ime, are the Fender 9050CL or Chromes. Great "click" right as the pick hits.

8. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I normally use Chromes, 40-100.
    I tried the Sadowsky flats a month ago, 40-100 as well.
    They feel great, both the smoothness and the tension, I loved that part.
    The tone was good to start with.
    I tried them at band practice, and they disappeared in the mix. After a few more days, and about a total of about 2 weeks, they completely died and started to sound muddy.
    The chromes are back again, and the year old chromes cut through much better than brand new Sadowskys..
    Now I still like the feel. If anyone knows strings which sound like chromes and feel like Sadowsky flats, I'll be all over them.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    "If anyone knows strings which sound like chromes and feel like Sadowsky flats, I'll be all over them."

A little baby powder on your fretting hand and your chromes will feel just as slick and smooth as the Sads :)

10. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    Good tip, thanks. I'll try.

11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    May i ask how does baby powder do this?
    I would think it make it worse.
    I have a set of EB flats that are very sticky even though worn in.

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Sorry, missed your inquiry and just stumbled on it while contemplating revisiting a set of Sads on a Jazz again ... my left hand tends to get 'moist' and a bit sticky as the night goes on, I pump a quick shot of baby powder across the fingers and give it a quick rub in at the beginning of each set and the fingers slide nice and free .. they make those little miniature 'travel size' containers and I just keep it close by through the night if I get draggin ...

13. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have those on a passive P. The P is a Fender RW with the stock pickup. To my ears, the Sadowskys have a smoother sound than Chromes. Chromes are a little brighter and harsher sounding. The Sads sound good with a pick, and you can get some good bite and snarl with them. You can also back off and get a much thumpier, mellower sound with them, too. They respond well to where you play between the neck and the bridge and your attack. As has been mentioned, they age well, with some brightness wearing off over time. They sound good right away, so you don't have to break them in for a while before taking them out to play.