1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky Flats--Warm & Thumpy or Bright & Twangy? Both...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by winston, Dec 17, 2005.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    The reason I ask this question is because I got a set of 5 string flats yesterday and put them on my Pedulla Rapture 5 string. The B and E strings are very dead--thuddy, not very responsive, almost no sustain. The A, D, and G are super bright and twangy and ring like roundwounds.

It's really annoying--I put them on the bass for a recording session tomorrow, but it literally sounds like I'm playing two different basses. :crying: I know how to properly change, cut, install, stretch, seat, and tune strings so it's not my fault. The strings sound like this acoustically (and amplified), and the Pedulla has a very even string-to-string response with all the other strings that have been on it. I played the strings at a 3 1/2 hour gig last night, and still, same thing.

The only other strings I've had problems with are LaBella Super Steps, which also sounded very different string-to-string. Perhaps not coincidentally, R. Cocco makes both LaBella and Sadowsky strings. I'm going to contact Sadowsky and ask for a refund because these strings are definitely not "the best you ever played" (their marketing line). Just curious about other peoples' experience with these flats.