Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Flats--Warm & Thumpy or Bright & Twangy? Both...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by winston, Dec 17, 2005.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    The reason I ask this question is because I got a set of 5 string flats yesterday and put them on my Pedulla Rapture 5 string. The B and E strings are very dead--thuddy, not very responsive, almost no sustain. The A, D, and G are super bright and twangy and ring like roundwounds.

It's really annoying--I put them on the bass for a recording session tomorrow, but it literally sounds like I'm playing two different basses. :crying: I know how to properly change, cut, install, stretch, seat, and tune strings so it's not my fault. The strings sound like this acoustically (and amplified), and the Pedulla has a very even string-to-string response with all the other strings that have been on it. I played the strings at a 3 1/2 hour gig last night, and still, same thing.

The only other strings I've had problems with are LaBella Super Steps, which also sounded very different string-to-string. Perhaps not coincidentally, R. Cocco makes both LaBella and Sadowsky strings. I'm going to contact Sadowsky and ask for a refund because these strings are definitely not "the best you ever played" (their marketing line). Just curious about other peoples' experience with these flats.