Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sadowsky flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by awa, Nov 5, 2005.

1. awa

awa

Jul 18, 2004
    has anyone tried these yet? how do they compare to the good flats out there?

2. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Sadowsky flats are made by Labella, and are killer. The 5 string set has a taper B, that is clear sounding and really matches the rest of the set. You can't go wrong with these flats.

3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I played in front of a group of musicians with these two weeks ago, and they were pretty surprised I was playing flats. They believed them to be rather articulate and bright for flats. I love them.

4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

K....what type of bass are you playing? Have you tried the Chromes?

P5

5. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I'm using the Flats on my.........Sadowsky fretless. I also use the nickels by Sadowsky and have previously tried the Stainless, which were too bright for my tone.

6. I have two Sadowsky basses. PJ4 and JJ4.
    I use Sadowsky Flats on the PJ and Sadowsky Bright Nickels on the JJ, both are well suited with these strings.

7. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Sadowsky flats are made by Labella? Which Labella flats are they similar to, if any?

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got Sadowsky flats on my SCHP Bongo 5 fretless. They've been on there about 8 months now, and sound warm and articulate. And, they really sing with the piezos, too.

Great string. I don't ever see myself trying anything else on this bass.

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    and by the way, my understanding is that they were made by R. Cocco per Roger's specifications.

10. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    That's R.Cocco Jr. of LaBella, the son of R.Cocco Sr., no longer with us.

11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks for the tip-in!

12. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Another great flat wound set IMO would be the La Bella 760FL's which go from .43 to .104 they are really smooth and medium tension with deep bottom, a nice warm tone and smooth top. These have been my favorites for years on my P/J's.

George

13. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I put a set on my Metro MV4 and..... I didn't care for them on this bass. I plan to put them on my P-bass sometime down the road (I love flats on a P), but I like the Elixer's i'm using on my Metro much better for that bass.
    The flats just seemed to soften the tone up too much for my liking.... although, they're pretty aggressive flats.