1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky Flatwound Tapered 5 Set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jonathan Starr, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Has anyone else tried Sadowsky's Flatwound 130T set?

I've been looking for the ultimate 5 string set for a trad blues tone for a while.

I have a passive P-5 MTD and I recently put on a set of Sadowsky flats with a tapered 130 B, and they are fantastic.

I have a couple of basses strung with TI Jazz Flats, and while they are fine strings, I find the B is a bit weaker and less distinct than the E and the A and I have to hit it differently to get a consistent sound. The low tension means I have to raise the action with the JF's to keep them from choking out when I dig in.

The Sadowsky set seems to work nicely for me for blues and old school stuff. Since the B is tapered, there was no great intonation change from the MTD SS rounds I was running, or a need to adjust relief, so I can switch back and forth easily. Last night at a band practice I got some positive remarks about my tone.

The G string seems a bit brighter than the others, and I'm hoping it will settle down.

These were pricey strings, a lot more than the TI's, and they have a quality look & feel. The wrapper says "created by Roger Sadowsky & Richard Cocco of E. & O. Mari, Inc."

Aloha,

Jonathan

2. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Dude, if they can fit a 35" scale bass, I'm running to Sadowsky's tomorrow morning. I've been pondering the TI's, but loved the GHS flats. E string intonation was a bit whacky on a warwick(not caused by magnetism), but da' bomb for soloing. The TI's have tended to be too light for me. I like some bounce in the booty...