Sadowsky Flatwound Tapered 5 Set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jonathan Starr, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Has anyone else tried Sadowsky's Flatwound 130T set?

I've been looking for the ultimate 5 string set for a trad blues tone for a while.

I have a passive P-5 MTD and I recently put on a set of Sadowsky flats with a tapered 130 B, and they are fantastic.

I have a couple of basses strung with TI Jazz Flats, and while they are fine strings, I find the B is a bit weaker and less distinct than the E and the A and I have to hit it differently to get a consistent sound. The low tension means I have to raise the action with the JF's to keep them from choking out when I dig in.

The Sadowsky set seems to work nicely for me for blues and old school stuff. Since the B is tapered, there was no great intonation change from the MTD SS rounds I was running, or a need to adjust relief, so I can switch back and forth easily. Last night at a band practice I got some positive remarks about my tone.

The G string seems a bit brighter than the others, and I'm hoping it will settle down.

These were pricey strings, a lot more than the TI's, and they have a quality look & feel. The wrapper says "created by Roger Sadowsky & Richard Cocco of E. & O. Mari, Inc."

2. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Dude, if they can fit a 35" scale bass, I'm running to Sadowsky's tomorrow morning. I've been pondering the TI's, but loved the GHS flats. E string intonation was a bit whacky on a warwick(not caused by magnetism), but da' bomb for soloing. The TI's have tended to be too light for me. I like some bounce in the booty...