Sadowsky fretless??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I already have my fretted MS5. I want a fretless as well. Anyone have a Sadowsky fretless? Pics? Wanna sell it?

The NYC basses are a bit out of my price range but I am considering getting a Metro RS5 and having it defretted. Am I crazy? I live close to F bass so I would get them to do the work. A defretted Metro is still cheaper than an F bass although not by a whole lot when its all said and done. If I get an F bass fretless my GAS will continue and I will want a F fretted. I do believe my GAS will be in remission with a Metro fretted and fretless.

I'm kicking myself for missing that used blue NYC fretless that was on the Sadowsky site not too long ago.
  2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I had a Modern 5 fretless for awhile. Nice but it wasn't me.
    It had an alder body, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, EMG soapbars, Sad pre.
    Now if it was ash with ebony it may have been a different story.
    I think the alder with the rosewood was a little too warm or soft sounding-not enough growl or "mwah" as they say.
    It played like a motherfu#%er was that thing nuts feel wise!
    I have a BNF5 so don't ask what I would do given your situation!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was looking on a Japanese web site over last summer and i saw Fretless Tokyo's that i think were metros series, why dont you ask Roger about it.
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I love my metro as Mikebass would testify to, but I'm not sure I'd go with a Metro frettless unless they offered Ebony (they don't). You might want to try coating the fingerboard, but I prefer a harder wood (the ability to use rounds). Unless you could find a used NYC in Ebony I'd probobly go to something else, F or Pedula maybe? I'm running a buzz right now and it's an excellent bass. I beleive Roger has even sent a few of his basses to Mike (Pedulla) for coating job per a customer request. Roger, please offer an Ebony linned frettless in the Metro Vintage?
  5. Cory

May 16, 2004
    Hello Steve,
    I have an NYC Sadowsky fretless and can give you a little insight on tone. Mine is a rather odd combination of woods. It's an ash body with a quilt top and a coated maple fingerboard. I wanted a really hard bass fignerboard that would withstand wear from roundwounds. I was playing A LOT of fretless in the studio and needed something that could with stand a lot of use without frequent trips to the shop. I'd use EQ to shape the tone more and it works great for me (not to mention that the double deep swith on my aguilar 680 helps too). If I had to do it all over again, I'd get an ash body with an uncoated ebony neck. The sound is MUCH warmer......but there is the wear issue. I have a friend that has a sadowsky with the uncoated ebony board and it sounds sooooooo good. I can get the same sound out of mine but it takes me quite a while with an eq....all he has to do is plug in. The coating on the fingerboard makes it a little too bright for most people. I am able to get the "JACO" tone out of my fretless with ease. I am also able to get a lot of really good useable sounds without much work. It works out great for jazz and fits really well with a larger band. The one thing good about my fretless is that there is ZERO neck or fingerboard wear after TEN years of solid use! The coating really helps save the fingerboard. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help you with. Cory :)
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Wait 'til Rader shows up. You'll have so much GAS, you'll need a sign that says :

BTW, you might check with fhodshon. He had his equally beautiful spalted fretless Zon up for sale a while ago.
  7. Well, I guess I do have a point of view on this... ;)

My Sadowsky fretless has an ash body, spalted top, ebony board, Sadowsky EMGs and preamp.

IMO, it has a great tone both live and recorded. It is very responsive in that I can easily get the fretless tone I want, but it's easy to also get a good solid tone without the mwah. It also does not call attention to itself and blends very well in the mix. Some fretless basses I have owned had a signature tone that, at times, was distracting in the mix.

I really love this bass. Sorry, but not for sale!! :)

You should get a matching buckeye Fretless to go with your fretted :D

Their pretty cool , i would really like to use one on an acoustic set. :bassist:
  10. No! Then I would have to CHOOSE! Now, I can go to a gig with the Buckeye and the Spalted and they both get playing time!! ;)

Oh the Temptation :D
  12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Back BS (before Sadowsky), I played a Warmoth fretless neck on a fender J. No lines or dots, just a big thick Ebony board. The roundwounds ate it for lunch. Pretty quickly the intonation went South. I ended up planing the board flat and coating it with polyurethane. Since then, I've tried a bunch of the other coatings, such as epoxy and polyester, but the PU has the warmest character. I think you have three choices: 1) go with the uncoated board and plan on planing or replacing as part of the PM, 2) Use flatwounds or half rounds, 3) Get a polymer coating to reduce abrasion. In that case, my experience is that PU gives the warmest tone.