Sadowsky Help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spike, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Ok Guys,
    I need some serious advice and help here, as I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Was offered a Sadowsky vintage 4 today, serial no 1305, in translucent cherry burst and excellent condition for £1,800. It felt and looked fantastic, but I was on a break from work and couldn’t try through an amp as I had run out of time.

If I get it, my Pedulla MVP will have to go in part exchange. Are these Sadowsky’s a lot better, or could I be making a mistake?

The shop told me they were selling it for the guy out of Simply Red who has treated it really well.

Replies and comments will be really appreciated, especially by Sadowsky and Pedulla owners as I’m going out of the county on Monday for a week and need to make a quick decision in case it is sold before I get back.

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I own a Sadowsky too. I don't think you would do a mistake. THey are very good basses, I doN,t know about your Pedulla though. Do you like it? What are you looking for in the Sadowsky that you don't have in the Pedulla?
    Pedulla are also great basses.
    But you will never be wrong with a Sadowsky that's for sure!

3. Thanks for your reply Yvon,

I saw that you had one up for sale on sadowskyworld site a while back. Did you sell it and get the 5 string version?

I do like the Pedulla, but tend to use my Stingrays more for live work as they seem to cut more. Also I've heard that Sadowsky's are exceptional, especially for cutting though the mix. Do you find that?

Can you get many different sounds out of yours, and in your opinion, is it the best bass you have played for sound and playability?

Just found the actual Sadowsky on the shops website, here's the link.

The shop owner is Martin Peterson who makes Sei Basses.

[Edited by Spike on 02-09-2001 at 10:09 AM]
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I still haven't sold mine. I have to met a guy tonight though....maybe...
    Yes, I found a Sadowsky five that i am interested in, it is a 24 fret modern.
    People seem to think that I would have let my Sadowsky go for 1200$, this is ridiculous...
    I also have my eyes on a Tung and A lakland, if I can sell my bass that will be a tough call.

I can't play any of those before I buy. Unless Brad want to come eat here! ;)

Yes the Sadowsky cut through very well, I tend to favor the bridge PU a little bit though. And I use less and less the pre-amp. I think the bass cut better with just a little bass boost, I guess it depend of the band you are in though.

If i bought the bass that you show us, I would take off the pick guard and pick-up guard, I think the are ugly. Of course it's only my opinion, you might like it.

Hope this help.

How much is 1800£ in american money?

5. Yvon,
    Your right $1200 is ridiculous, don't give it away.
    It worries me that you may be willing to move away from Sadowsky to Lakland or Tung. I ask myself, should I be looking at those also.

£1800 is roughly $2700. In the UK American Basses are much more expensive due to our import duty and taxes. I could save myself some money by getting a flight over to you and buying your's :D

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You can buy a new one for that much through Roger. Would you get hit w/duty charges through mail order stuff as well?

There was absolutly no need to put a pick guard on that gorgous flamed top.

What is the sadowsky World address?

Yvon wrote:
    <b>I still haven't sold mine. I have to met a guy tonight though....</b>

What kind of 5 string are you selling?

[Edited by Nino-Brown on 02-09-2001 at 01:51 PM]
  7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm not selling a 5, but a 4. Cherry sunburst Sadowsky, Just like the one in that thread, but with no pick guard.

8. Spike,

The guy I study with has a Sadowsky very similar to the one on the website that you are considering. His bass sounded so good, I ended up buying a Sadowsky(Vintage 5 string) after trying out many different high-end basses over the course of about 6 months. It is the first bass I have ever been completely satisfied with. Cuts thru exceptionally well with little preamp boost. In short, for me it is the best bass I have ever played. It replaced a Zon 5 string Custom as my main fretted bass (which replaced a Modulus Quantum which replaced a Warwick which replaced a Tobias.)

If you can, try and play it more to ensure you are confortable with the instrument. It may or may not be the bass for you. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that £1800 is a lot of money to pay for a bass and there are lots of options in this price range. For a start, Martin could make you a custom bass!

I must say that if it was me, there is no way that I would part with £1800 without trying any bass extensively and comparing it to lots of other to make sure I was completely happy with this. I would always then go away and think about it for a few days, to make sure I had made the right decision.

I mean - to play devil's advocate - you could say it's just a souped-up Fender and most people won't notice the difference - is it worth £1,000 more than a US Fender "to you"? I think the only way you can tell, is by playing and testing whether it sounds like £1800-worth of bass.

I did have the same sort of situation last year and I looked at Sadowskys amongst many others, at the Bass Centre in Wapping; but I ended up going with my Tobias Classic V for £1700 - it was close, but the Tobias played better (nicer neck) and sounded slightly better than the Sadowskys.

I'm only illustrating though - that you have a lot of options and if you lose this bass, there are probably 50 or so, just as good in their own way, in London shops for roughly the same price.
  10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I though the same thing before I played one. "Ah it's just a Jazz bass." He (Roger) even admits it. I remember reading an interview & he said something alonn the lines of, "I want to perfect something already very popular" or sonething like that. But it totally <b><u>DESTROYS</B></U> any fender I've ever played!!!! I have a couple of USA Spectors & I couldn't believe how much better I like the sound of the Sadowsky than the Spectors. (The feel is another thing, Spectors play & feel awesome) I think it is worth every dollar/pound/lire/peso. But it is still ALOT OF MONEY!!!

You said 1800 is alot but you spent 1700 on a Tobias? I am not familiar w/that model. Personally, I've never liked Tobias's because the mostly use Bartolini's, but everyone I've ever played, played & felt great.
  11. Thanks everybody for your input.

Went back this afternoon and tried it once more. Was more than impressed again, and bought it. Managed to hold on to my Pedulla MVP, but a friend who has been after my Ric 4003 for a while, is on his way round to buy it.

The Sadowsky is like new so I think £1,800 against the £3,200 that the Bass Centre quoted me for a new one isn't too bad for the quality and sound of this bass. Also it is exactly the model and finish that I have been looking for over the last year or so. Plus it feels and sounds much better than my Redding Jazz, even better than my '63 Jazz that I sold a couple of years ago.

Roger Sadowsky was very helpful by email regarding this bass, dating it and offering his advice. If you see this Roger, thanks once again.

Can't wait to gig it tonight.
    Posting a couple of pics I just took in the Picture thread.

Cheers everybody,
  12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    you will love it!

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  14. Spike,

Congratulations! Let us know how you like it. The picture looked great.

I've always been more than impressed with the level of service from Roger.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't know much about the comparison of sounds, but the Pedulla is ugly, the Sadowsky is not. That's what really counts anyway, right? Well, isn't that right? Back me up on this. I mean if you don't look cool, nobody's gonna want to listen to you anyway, right? Well? Never mind.

That's why my next bass is going to be one of these two:

Sadowsky 24-fret five string, black, ash body, no pickguard.

Fender American Precision Deluxe five-string, black, ash body.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    And you need a minimum of 300 watts.

17. Jeff,
    Just back from the gig and my new (s/hand) Sadowsky excelled in every way.
    Absolutely loved it. My anniversary Stingray was there for back up, but I just didn't want to use it at all, and I do love that Ray.

I have had dozens of basses over the years, looking for that perfect sound, and I think I have now at last found it.
    Even my band members were knocked out with it's sound.
    Normally they are so used to me bringing different Basses along that they rarely comment. Please keep and use this one all the time, they said, in the break and again at the end of the gig.
    The only down side was that the D and G strings seemed VERY slightly less powered. I hope this is only a small adjustment with the lower pickup's height. I used it though an Ashdown ABM 500 with Hartke 115XL and 410XL.

I do quite like the look of the Pedulla MPV, but then people's tastes vary. I must say though that I prefer the look of the Sadowsky and IMO it also sounds a lot clearer, tighter and cuts though more.

I think I might now have a few basses for sale, most of which I was perfectly happy with before.

Thanks again guys for your help with making this decision.

18. Your Sadowsky, whether new or used, will become the mistress of your dreams.

I'm chiming in too late but...I've raved before and will do so again now:

I love my Sadowsky 4 string jazz bass (maple on ash w/ maple board). It has the sound I have always heard and wanted to get. I could have spend more on other basses but the Sadowsky is IT! It's great for many styles for sure the slap and pop thang starts and with Sadowsky. :D:

19. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Wow Jim, That's beautiful. It looks like the last control is concentric. Is it? I've never seen one like that. Is is a special pre-amp?

I couldn't afford one just yet, so I made one myself. Check it out by <a href=""><b>clicking here.</b></a> It has the same p/u's that Roger puts in his 24 fret 5 string (EMG 40 J's) & I put an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. This is the best playing & sounding bass I have owned so far (& I have 3 USA Spectors!!!) This color is very popular on Sadowsky's. Eventually, I'll buy a real one, but my wife will kill me!!! LOL :)
  20. Pretty observant! It's the stock Sadowsky preamp but with a passive tone control (treble roll off)to yield a dark, vintage sound. The controls are volume, pickup blend, passive tone, stacked active treble and active bass controls. The mini toggle engages/disengages the preamp.