Sadowsky Humcanceling vs. Nordstrand Big Singles

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Il Capo, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Il Capo

Il Capo

Sep 25, 2007
    Chicago
    I was wondering how you might describe the ways in which these pickups compare to each other. If a thread on this topic already exists, can you post a link? I haven't found a wealth of info just yet..

I'm eyeballing a Metro RV4 and another Sadowsky with Big Singles. Looking for bold vintage-esque thump (with some modern clarity), with flats..

Thanks.

2. Not much vintage with either of these choices. The Big Singles are very 'modern soapbar' sounding. The stock Sadowsky HC's are nice, but are a bit scooped... very big down low, and quite modern and hi fi up top.

However, both the Sadowsky single coils (some version of Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups from what I've been told) and the Nordstrand single coil J's that Roger offers as an option sound AWESOME IMO. The Nordstrand single coil J's are a little less aggressive and less grindy/bright than the Sadowsky singles, so that sounds like it might be up your alley.

If you are considering an NYC bass, Roger will swap pickups for little or no charge (although, of course, the Big Single route kind of limits things with that particular bass).

IMO and IME!

3. Il Capo

Il Capo

Sep 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the insight. Any clue as to how Big Singles sound with flats? I LOVED how Sadowsky HC pickups worked with Sadowsky flats. My hope is that Big Singles would respond just as well, if not better..

4. i think it was a tb'r by the handle marcus that posted clips of a squire classic vibe with dimarzio ultrajazz pickups and his sadowsky with big singles. i think youll find all the information you need to make a decision based on those sound clips.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021