Sadowsky, iAMP800, Bergie question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Not sure if I should post in amps or basses. But here goes.

Sadowsky Metro 5 string J bass
    iAMP 800
    Bergie 210

The problem I have is not to do with being heard out in the club its when I switch to slap from fingerstyle and hearing my slapping clearly on stage. I constantly get positive feedback from others about how good the rig sounds so no problem cutting thorugh off stage. It's a small bar/stage and I end up standing right over the rig. I am wondering what changes I should make in the set up to hear the slapping better.

Bass is set up with bass boost fairly high. Treble boost not so much but still boosted. More back pup than front for the Jaco like sound while playing fingerstyle

iAMP 800 is set flat.

No outboard compression.

My technique is clean and even between slap and pop when I play by myself.

Be guess would be to try rolling off the bass boost and let the mid range come out. I also have the Bergie 115. Would that be a better option on its own than the 210 on its own?

2. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
  3. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Compression? :bag:

I have EBS Multicomp and since using it I can hear every playing style better and more pronounced.
  4. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON

I'm thinking the same thing. I have an Aphex Punch Factory that I haven't used live yet. I will run it next time to see if it improves the slap presence. Pop is fine. The rig and the bass are still relatively new to me so I'm still finding the sweet spot. But so far it is VERY schweeeeet. :bassist:
  5. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    As you know Sadowsky philosophy is to not add a mid control to his basses and with your amp set flat your mid frequencies need to be boosted in the worst way.
    Experiment with the mids and you'll be a happy man!!
    (I'll never understand why Rodger doesn't add a mid frequency control to his basses. Mids are extreamly critical!!)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Transplant your ears to your ankles. :p

Seriously: most of your tone is going past your legs. I'm guessing room acoustics don't reflect the portion of the sound you need to hear. The good news is that you get compliments on how well you sound to the audience. You certainly don't want to ruin that.

I can think of a couple of changes. The first would be to tilt the cabinet back so it points up towards your ears. This might well affect how you sit in the mix

The second would be to simply elevate your rig on milk crates or something so that your speakers are closer to your ears. You could even set the 210 on top of the 115... and you wouldn't even have to plug in the 115. I'm thinking there's less chance of affecting your stage mix if you simply raise the speakers vertically.

I agree that mids are usually a very good thing, but changing your tone might affect how well you sit in the mix: you dont want to compete with the guitar(s).

Just a few things to consider. Good luck!
  7. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Try backing off the bass boost on your onboard.
    That will also help push your mids up.
    Too much bass boost feels good, but you really do lose the cut through the mix.
  8. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    IMHO, the Sadowsky, iAMP, and Berg combination is NOT a good one, especially for cutting through. The Sad bass is thick and meaty, the iAMP is warm as all getout, and the Berg is SO smooth and scooped in the upper mids. I'd suggest making some kind of change to something that would suit your taste a little better, since you don't like the sound right now.

For me, the Sadowsky -> iAMP 800 -> EA NL-210 is a match made in heaven. The NL210 is so flat and the presence is so forward and punchy that all the nuance of the Sadowsky comes right out. I've never had people comment on tone as much as this combination.

If you're sticking with the berg and wanna ditch the iAMP, then something a little tighter and brighter might be in order - like a Walter Woods, Thunderfunk, or pre/power setup.

The one thing I wouldn't do is ditch the Sadowsky. That's definitely not the issue. Absolutely consider what Fuzz said about placement. However, I think the #1 problem you're having is that you're expecting the same sound that you love in the living room to sound great on the gig too. That ain't gonna happen. Next gig - or even practice - just for sh1ts and giggles, run the Sadowsky in passive (if possible) or completely flat. Run the iAMP flat with just the deep switch engaged. Then just play for a while and listen to the MIX instead of your sound. Then you'll be more apt to make changes that will lead to happiness instead of more confusion.

Hope you find it!