1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky J/J pickups and preamp choices!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I'm doing a Warmoth JJ and have decided it's most likely going to get Sadowsky pickups with the Sadowsky preamp + VTC. A few questiosn...

1. How do the Sadowsky single coils compare to the humbuckers tonally?
    Advantages/disadvantages?

2. Does anyone know the dimensions of the holes for the pot shafts to accomodate the Sadowsky preamp w/VTC? THe Sadowsky site indicates that they require different size shaft holes.

Looking forward to your ideas.

Thanks-

Lonnybass

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not very informative or creative but my idea is to ask Roger. He changes his pups so my guess is his answer would be different at different times.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I put together a Warmoth JJ a couple years back and used the same setup you are thinking of doing. Everything fit just fine. Make sure you get a rear routed body. Much easier to fit the pre in there with the battery. I used Dimarzio ultar J's which are the same size as the Sadowsky singles, as far as I know. Should turn out great!

Rob

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you like the old school single sound, use the singles (or nordies), but if you're looking for a slick modern sound, go for the HCs. The HCs are tighter with a bit of a scoop through the middle.

You definitely chose the right preamp :D

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I think the Ultra J's are the same as the Sadowsky HC's, and the Seymour 'anitquity' J's are the same as the singles. I might be mixed up though... probably a search will set that straight.

6. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Thanks guys. I'm definitely looking for some old school flavor but versatility is always a major plus. Would you say that the humbuckers coupled with the flexibility of the VTC offers the best of both worlds - vintage AND modern?

And now, the obligatory body shot...AAAAA figured bubinga over mahogany

Lonnybassjazz.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

never saw a discussion on the SD/Sad but Roger himself responded to the Ultra/Sad debate and said he had DM wire the pups to his specs so not the same. My guess is the same with the SD's.

There's a site someplace that has soundclips of the Ultra's and Sad's - think it was the exact same setup only variable being pups and they did sound different but it's been maybe a year ago.

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Lonny, you are going to love the Sadowsky pre. I just installed one in a stock Fender and it just kills.

I personally don't use the VTC much, if at all, on my NYC, and the pre I installed in the Fender does not have the VTC. If you want to have that old school tone available to you though I'd recommend the VTC just so it's there if and when you want it, especially if the extra money is not an issue.

The single coil Sadowsky pickups are brighter, hotter and more open sounding than the HBs. IME (used to have singles on a Metro I no longer own) there was NO noise issue at all with the single coils as opposed to the humbuckers. The Sadowsky singles don't have much hum to be bucked, if any (I couldn't hear any). The humbuckers are a bit rounder, fatter, and less aggressive than the single coils.

If your thing is mostly rock, go single coils. If you're doing varied styles, go humbuckers.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Yea, I know the differences in the singles and HC's compared to the Dimarzio's. I was simply stating that they all will fit in the holes routed by Warmoth. Which ever you choose should be great. Id also contact Nordstrand. He makes great singles in the traditional and non-traditional shapes to fit most routes

Rob

10. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I opened a thread with the test I did but I misspelled "Sadowsky" :bag: so it's not showing up on the searchs.

I plan to update it when I get my PJ and then I'll open a new thread with the right spelling so everybody can find it.

You can find that thread here

I hope it helps

11. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Thanks!

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Fran, can't a mod fix the spelling of that thread title for you?

13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I just PMed Major Metal and asked him to change it.:)