Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky metro 24f

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    tell me evrithing bout this bass, secially string spacing and specs of the pre-amp.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Same as the NYC 24 fret models. Same components, bridge, pickups, etc

34" scale, 24 frets, quick release bridge, 2 band pre(treble and bass boost only) preamp defeat, ash or alder, maple or morado boards, etc.

I'd go to www.sadowsky.com or email the shop

Rob

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Could anybody tell more about that bass, tonewise? Does it have any jazz bass growl in the saund, how about the b-string etc.?

4. eldoctorbass

eldoctorbass Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Northampton, Mass
    I may be the only person on this site (in the world?) who did not fall immediately in love with the Sadowsky Metro. What I didn't like about the bass was all personal preference, and doesn't really reflect the quality of the workmanship. It felt heavy and clunky - not what I expected looking at the photos online. The neck felt like it belonged on an inexpensive factory-made bass. The electronics were nice (though the knobs also felt cheap), but I didn't think they were the Godsend that everyone else raves about. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice bass that is probably worth its price tag. It just didn't rock my world like I really wanted it to.

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    little different scenario. Bought a 24 Fret Sadowsky, picture included here, it was absolutely gorgeous..I know it was the usa version, but my story about the workmanship is totally the opposite, I loved the bass, the b string, the neck, the fret dressing the easy to play neck, no clunkiness, it was extremely light and well balanced....why didn't I keep it you ask? No midrange J bass growl. The Modern 5 is not "supposed" to sound like a J bass. It's not a jazz bass clone. pickups are closer together, they're dual coil, I mean the bass didn't sound bad at all, just didn't have the edge that single coils have.

If you want J bass growl, I think you ought to be looking at a vintage or classic 5, not the modern 24 fretter. Just a thought.

6. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The file was too large, sorry.

L

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    who said that i wanted a j bass sound??????? why you ppl keep posting uselees things in threads like this one, if you dont own a metro M24f (main theme in this thread)you cant tell me nething bout the things a need to know.

Sorry if it sounds rude.

8. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I answered the post before mine who said he didn't like the Metro 24 fret for several reasons. I was comparing my experience with his. The bass he tried and the one I owned obviously didn't exactly match up other than tone.

If you don't want a j bass growl, I think the USA 24 fret modern Sadowsky is an excellent choice..I can't vouch for the Metro. There have been several nice used 24 fret usa ones that have come up on Ebay and bassgear.

The people I spoke to felt that the 24 fret one sounds "better" with the EMG's rather than Roger's pickups.

That's all I can say other than I don't feel your insulting remarks were needed whatsoever. I was just remarking how great a bass was and why it was so, and I make a comment about a lack of growl and if you want a Jbass sound, maybe this isn't the right bass and I get slapped in the face like a fresh college kid....totally uncalled for and unprofessional.

Good luck in your endeavors.

LK

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I always say; "If you might not like the answer you're going to hear, don't ask the question." Relax man. It's all good collective wisdom regarding Sadowsky's and various experience. Larry's post was a class reply. If it doesn't apply to you, disregard. Keep what you like, leave the rest. No big deal.

10. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have to believe that there just aren't that many people yet who have these Metro basses and can comment on their playability. I have to also believe, again ... could be wrong, that the amount of classic and vintage style SAdowsky 5's will outnumber , be them Metro or USA, 24 fret models at least 4 or 5 if not more to 1. IF they just literally came out with the Metro's, how many of the 24 fretters have even been sold yet?

However, there's plenty of us who either own or have owned a USA model. If I felt that there would be a whole backlog of Metro 24 fretters to contribute here, I woulda kept my mouth shut and not bothered because, like Nemesis said, I don't own one....but literally, who does right now?

Anyway...no big thing.

Larry

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You did say you wanted to know everything about the Metro & since the NYC 24 fret basses have the same p/u's, preamp, hardware & similar wood choices, how is Larry's post "useless"? :confused:

12. Man some people... :rollno:

i was just about to post the same thing Nino, luckily i looked down hehe.

So Larry (and anyone else with experience), would you say the 24f is aimed at a more "modern" hi-fi sound? My train of though says "modern" after Larry's comment about no J-style mid growl and the fact that it has those EMG dual coils. How bout some useless feedback? :ninja: :D

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Correct me if im wrong but i can see a switch in the usa that isnt on the metro. BTW they arent builded by the same luthier (or party of luthiers)so they arent the same, Dindt the metro came with EMG?

Nino if you still on the sadowsky crew you should put some more specs on your sites like string spacing (milimeters and inches) at the nut and the bridge.

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The older NYC 24 fret 5's had a mini switch to bypass the preamp.
    -The newer NYC have a push pull on the bass control, as do the Metro's/
    The older NYC 24 fret 5's had EMG's.
    -The newer NYC have Sadowsky SoapBars, as do the Metro's.

The NYC's & Metro's have the same specs, pickups, preamp & hardware. The NYC basses have the Passive tone control while it is an option on the Metro's.

The width at the nut is 1 7/8th
    The string spacing at the bridge is 19mm (5 string)

If you have specific questions about Sadowsky basses you should contact the us directly. :)

15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

OK, thats nice can i ask you guys in sadowsky for pics of each finish of the metro M24f maple fretboard?

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
  17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Well,He did say that he at one time bought one but no longer has it,and if I'm not mistaken you did wanted to know EVERYTHING about the Sadowsky 24f.
    Hey Man his insight was not useless at all IMHO,however you may have saw it a different way but tell me this:Let's just say that you buy the Sad.24f and found out that you didn't like this bass afterall("I doubt it") well then the bass might be "useless" because you neglected to proably take into consideration what was shared amongst players who has had this bass but hey,go with what'ca feel.
    Happy Hunting

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Here's the super dumb question of the day...................
    If metros are made in japan by sadowsky staff using the same parts etc, and it costs $$$$ to ship from japan.........
    why are the metros cheaper?
    just asking..........let's not turn this into the "played a sadowsky" thread :rollno:

19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    It's "built" not "builded"...just thought I'd help.

20. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    This may be a roundabout answer to your question, but this is in the Metro FAQs on the Sadowsky site...

Q: "If the quality is just as good as a NYC Sadowsky, why should I consider spending the extra dollars for a NYC model?"

A: "If all you need is a basic ash or alder bass, you do not need to purchase a NYC instrument. The Metro Line was created to offer "basic" Sadowsky models at a more affordable price.

Any options, including maple tops, premium woods, Ultra-Vintage models and custom configurations need to be ordered as an NYC instrument."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.