Sadowsky Metro 5/Tokyo 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BOOTZY, Jun 12, 2004.

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden

Please, spare me the "do a search"-answer, i have done that and didn´t find out what i want to know...

Has anyone played both of these 5-strings? If you have, please help me to answer these questions.

1. Do they have the same preamp? If not, do they sound much different?

2. Is the Tokyo much heavier?

3. Are the neck specs the same?

4. Do they have the same pickups?

5. Did you notice any difference between their B-strings? I´m thinking of their bigger/smaller bodies and if a Sadowsky with an all maple neck have a positive effect on the B-string in general...

6. Which of these basses did you like the best and why?

I´m about to order one of these basses and i´m having a hard time making up my mind...I love the looks of both, but it would be nice to have some of your thoughts on this...

Thank you!

Be well,
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, you didn't do a good enough search casue I've answered these questions time & time again. ;) :)

1-The Metro Basses have the same pick up, preamp, body shape & hardware as the NYC counterparts.

The Tokto Basses have a gennerally warmer sounding preamp, only come with single coil p/u's have a full sized ash body with maple fretboard.

2-From the basses I've played, the Tokyo's have been about a pound heavier.

4-See answer 1.

5-No. The B string on both were monsterous.

6-I like them both. I currently own one of each (Metro RV4 & a Tokyo RB5). The Edge go alittle to the Metro because I like the preamp better but I have yet to get a bad sound from the Tokyo.

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    Thanks Nino, for your answer. I always read your posts about your own Valenti basses and the Sadowsky basses. The Valenti basses looks really great and i´m sure they sounds and plays just as good.

I have some ideas about a Telebass-style 5-string with MM-pickups...but for now a Sadowsky has to come first.

You´ll be hearing from me,

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a tokyo 5 string and their great basses, same high quality as the NYC line. You cant go wrong with either bass. :bassist:
  5. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    according to Roger he's able to control the supply chain on the u.s. ones better ..(weight mostly ..not quality)

as most know ... swamp ash spends life either above or below the water table or a mixture of both through the course of its life as a tree and that largely determines weight..

roger's tokyo's are in the 9-10.5 range vs .. maybe one (1) pound lighter or so on u.s. sad stuff ...

i prefer my tokyo over my alder body ... but thats just me's just a bit beefier and maybe a little more fun .. rack 'em ... !
    ;) ;) :bassist: ;) ;)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Preamp in the Tokyo really warms up the snap in the Maple/Ash combo great stuff, i play mine live every week !. :bassist:
  7. If anyone has either for sale (5 String Only), drop me a PM.