Sadowsky Metro bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niskamies, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I live in Finland in northern europe, and I am coming to the States for a vacation. I am willing to purchase a bass, so: would this be my dream bass?

I am gasin' for a Metro series 5-string with the ash body and maple fretboard in '59 burst, but without a pickguard, Jaco style. As I have the Jaco signature fretless jazz bass, I would like a bass with the same looks, but as a five string and fretted. Will Sadowsky make the bass without the bass, or should I just e-mail and ask?

And, how does the b-string work? It has a 34" scale, but is the b-string solid? And how about the sound? Is this a dream bass for a bassplayer who can't afford REAL Sadowsky?
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search on the board, and yes, you'll see it is in fact a dream come true. :cool:
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'm working on getting one soon I think, or I hope, after playing the Sadowsky Metro at the TB get-together in NY, I realized if I have a Sadowsky Modern 5, a Sadowsky 5 string jazz style (I'll probably end up defretting it), and a MTD, my life will be complete! :hyper:
  4. Yes, it sounds like a standard metro is what you are looking for.

I was in Roger's shop last Friday and played almost everything there. The Metro's sound great. And the Bs on all the basses are great but of course the ash-maple combination is super punchy. :)

(Tangentially, his nylon string guitar is awesome!!!)
  5. Look behind out behind you! It's JT!!! :ninja:
  6. My Sadowsky Tokyo 5 (full-size ash body, maple board) b-string is among the best I've played. It balances perfectly with the other strings and plays and sounds great up the neck. Additionally the Sadowsky b is tighter than any other I've played (35" Lakland, Music Man, Fender, Warwick, Spector, Ibanez). No flop whatsoever.

Enjoy your trip to the States, and good luck with your purchase.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree 110%, the Tokyo and Metro line are Just as Sadowsky as the NYC line. Their all REAL :bassist:
  8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings

Hi there,
    this is the one I bought two weeks ago!!! :hyper:
    It is awsome, it play and sounds great. I've installed the passive tone control, perfect! I A/B'ed with a NYC Modern 24, same spec.... obvious they don`t sound the same (different pups and placement) but you can not tell the difference in quality. (by the way, I've just installed new Hi-Beam... sounds even better!)

9. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    It is almost like that, but with the metal plate in the controls. Imagine this bass as a five string fit a fretted maple fretboard.