1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Metro Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CTC564, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    just wanted to throw a few questions out there about the Sadowsky Metro line

I've read that, other than fancy tops and chambering of the bodies to lighten the weight, they are supposed to be equal to the NYC models

If you have any experience or opinions about the Metro line leave a response

Thanks

2. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    One of the finest basses I ever owned. But don't think it will sound like a super Fender. It sounds like a Sadowsky.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  3. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    It's not the super friend or that I'm looking for, it's actually that "Sadowsky sound"

I've been in active electronics guy for most of my plan. I'm more concerned about how the instruments play and how they feel and what the balance is like while hanging from a strap

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I owned one of the early Metros and currently own an NYC. From a playablility standpoint the feel is very similar between the Metro and the NYC. Prior to ordering my NYC, I had to make a choice between the Metro and a Fender Marcus Miller 5 string that I installed the John East Marcus Retro preamp in. I ended up keeping the Fender because I liked the single coils that were in the Fender better and the resale value of the Sadowsky was better. The hum cancelling pickups on the Metro aren't bad (nice and quiet) but a little sterile for my taste. When I ordered my NYC, I definitely went with the single coils.

Metros are really fine basses and are a great value for the money, especially used. For value purposes, you might also look into a Satin Series bass. Built in NYC at more of a Metro price.

Happy Hunting.
    Bones

jimgrinnell and Aqualung60 like this.
  5. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I've had three Sadowsky basses in the past - two Metros and one NYC. As far as playability and quality, the Metros were right up there with the NYC. The only difference I could discern was the neck on the NYC being noticeably thinner from front to back. Could have been a difference in models I suppose, though I doubt, as the NYC was one of the modern models and the Metros were vintage-style, and MV5 and and MV5-PJ.

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've owned counting my current main bass two metro fivers, one metro four, and two NYC's five strings. All of them were either RV or MV basses with the 21 fret configuration. To me the neck feel was identical, the big plus on the NYC's was the weight (about a pound and a half to two pounds lighter). My current MV5 Metro weighs in about 9 1/2 pounds, both of my NYC's were right around 8 even.

As far as the chambered bodies, they probably are a bit more resonant, and you might notice it on a studio recording. I'm not sure anyone past the first row would notice the difference live. When I get some cash I will make the switch to SC pickups I like them a bit better. But you aren't giving up much at all if you buy a Metro, they just work.

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I've had several Metros and an NYC. Only real difference to me is the weight and the fancy top. Tonally they are the same. Awesome basses all around!

Burwabit and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I've owned a couple Metro's, won't own another. I found that the NYC's were way better in terms of feel, the necks are just a lot nicer feeling. I don't find that Metro's with the current new price to be that great of a deal, used is much better. I'd love to play a satin series as that seems like a much better deal than the Metro's, especially if they have the typical NYC neck carve.

bassinflorida likes this.
  9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I just received my MV4, last Tuesday... absolutely love it. Weighs in at exactly 9 lbs. Well balanced... sounds great, too, and that's without engaging the preamp.

IMAG1395.

The following link is straight from Sadowsky's site, comparing the Metro to the NYC:

Sadowsky Guitars | NYC and Metro Basses Compared

Good luck, brother!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  10. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    Sad2. I might be a little biased , but I love them , the heaviest one is 8.8 lbs.the lightest is 7.8 lbs The necks are perfect , not chunky at all, I only difference to me is the gorgeous tops and flamed fretboard on the usa. And I visit the shop at least 4 times a year so I also get to play the nyc.

11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Metros are built with meticulous attention to detail and have 100% of the "Sadowsky sound." Don't let anyone tell you anything different. The Japan Sadowsky shop is the real deal.

I have gigged two Metros, an RV5 and an RV4, as my main basses, gotten rave reviews from sound people and from BL's etc. The Metros do not have options, though Roger &Co have continued to add different models. You can always swap out pickups, and some cats definitely favor one kind over others, e.g. Single Coil vs Humbucking etc; but, those are trivial changes to make.

You may want to shop around a bit, if weight is a significant factor; simply because there is some variability.

The only reason I recently sold my Metro was to purchase an NYC with some VERY individual refinements. I only did that after being entirely certain what I was after. I expect the marginal gain to be nice but not necessary. In truth, the Metro was a very practical bass for me.

12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Agreed, 100 times over...

groovin_bassman and TMARK like this.
  13. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    NJ Guitar & Bass Center in Edison (maybe a 45 minute drive from TR) has about a half dozen Metros hanging on the wall of various configurations, and several more in the back. Alongside those, there's also a used NYC P/J 4-string. Blindfolded, you'd probably have a hard time telling the difference.

My Metro Will Lee - the trans white one you see in the stock photo on Jay's website - is a few years old. I believe I got it shortly before Roger added the graphite strips to the necks of the Metros, which now makes them even more similar to the NYCs. (as an aside, the '59 burst Will Lee w/ maple board is also a stock photo of my previous Sadowsky.)

The construction is top-notch. The range of tones is great (I have the stock single coils). It's the most resonant bass I've ever owned (along w/ the previous WL referenced above). Playing it keeps me on my toes, because if my technique gets sloppy, it'll let me know. (which I consider a good thing)

I once had a female singer lean in towards me during a rehearsal and say, "not only can I hear your bass, but I can feel it". She never said that about any other bass I brought.

Spidey2112 and eadg98005 like this.
  14. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

♥ that brownburst with the black hardware. If you're ever up for a trade, let me know !

15. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
  16. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I find the necks to be a bit thicker front to back than say a Fender. Personally I love this as it really keeps your hand from cramping on long gigs. Best feeling necks in the business IMO!

17. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Towards the end of 2014, they re did the neck on the Metros. They are now very similar to the NYC necks with the carbon spars. That said, I didn't think the metros were any worse than the NYC counterpart. Just cheaper with less options available.

FYI, I got a mint used MV for 1300. That was a great deal.

18. Lowness

Lowness Banned

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA
    I just can't get over the price of metro basses. Go direct to Japanese makers at a fraction of the cost for the same quality.

Roger is having a laugh.

19. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Supply and demand. You don't HAVE to buy one, and the used market is good. If you want that sound thats what it costs.

20. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Metro's are fine basses and a relative bargain if you are okay with limited options. I believe that if you order direct from Sadowsky, they will install your choice of pickguard and pickups.

This is laughable. Thanks for making my morning!

GregC likes this.