Sadowsky Metro Express Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christoph, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    All,
    I'm interested in the Sadowsky Metro Express basses. I see their price points (5-string) from around $900 to $1900. I also noticed two different head stock logos: One with Metro Express and one with the Sadowsky name.

Does anyone know whether there are differences within the Metro Express line?

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Yes.

The Sadowsky-brand MetroExpress basses were made at the end of their long run of making the Japanese Metro series of instruments. They are nearly identical to the RV/MV 4/5 basses, but with a limited run of colors and manufacturing using a different method (more CNC machining, I think) to lower costs a bit from the original Metro series. These are the ones you are seeing for ~$1900. They were originally about $2000 new. These have been discontinued as of this year. Sadowsky has moved production of the Metro series instruments to Germany where they are now made by Warwick.

The current run of MetroExpress basses are being manufactured under the brand Roger Sadowsky Design (RSD) and are made in China. These are the ones going for ~$900 new.

Try a search in the basses forum to find more information about them. Much as been written already on both the Japanese and Chinese ME basses. I bought one of the last Japanese ME basses earlier this year directly from Roger. Happy to chat about it via PM if you’d like - feel free to send me a message.

Christoph likes this.
  3. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    Thanks Scott.
    It seems like the Japanese versions are quite a bit better quality. How can you identify a Japanese one?

4. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    I have not yet had the privilege to play an RSD bass but I can vouch that the quality of my Japanese-made Sadowsky ME is on par with any bass I have ever played or owned. It is a fantastic instrument. In a perfect world the string spacing and nut could be a hair narrower but I've decided I can live with it.

The Japanese MEs have the "Sadowsky" logo on the headstock, similar to the NYC and Metro models:

RV5E headstock.jpg

The Chinese MEs have the RSD logo on the headstock, like this:

RSD headstock.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Christoph likes this.
  5. Christoph

Christoph

Jan 17, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    Thanks. Yeah, i can relate to the complaints about the Chinese head stock label. Looks like something you'd buy at Walmart.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  6. I’ve been waiting for my RSD PJ bass for 2 to 3 months ordered from my local. Was told yesterday I’ll be waiting longer as the Australian shipment has been sent back due to QC Issues.
    It saddens me I need to wait longer but Instills confidence That I will get a good bass when it eventually arrives.... because someone IS doing their job. The specific issues have not been identified or explained to me. I will enquire further and keep you posted.

Christoph likes this.
  7. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a friend who bought one of the first run MetroExpress basses. He lets me take it out on gigs every now and then. It plays great and sounds fantastic to my ears. One thing to note about the new RSD branded basses is they are not putting the VTC (tone pot) on it. That is one of the features that pretty much every Sadowsky user loves. Waiting to see how these new models perform....might try and get one in 2021 if all works out well.

WUZHKsq.jpg

Christoph likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021