Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Metro - Good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Hi Tb'ers

I have never played a Sadowsky but it looks like that you guys just loves them. Are they that good?

I have thinking of getting a Metro RV4. I have my eyes on two - One white and one Lake placid blue.

I may a have Fodera Emperor 4 coming, So I can't make up my mind. But what I really need is a aktive jazz style bass. The Emperor is sweet as hell but also twice the money.
    All on Talkbass wordship Sadowsky :smug:

Please help me :eyebrow:

Christian

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I havent been impressed with any of the Metro's that I've played.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I like Sadowsky, they are worth checking out. :)

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Arguably, a Sadowsky is the finest J-Bass you can buy. In terms of construction, finish, and overall presentation, they're pretty much flawless. I think the attention to detail on them is unparalleled, and I've owned Foderas, Spectors, and many other high-end instruments. Personally, I notice a difference in the fret installation on the Metro series - it's different, not a step down - but other than that, my Metro is almost indistinguishable from my NYC models.

To me, the line in the sand between a Sadowsky and most other basses is the sound. They're regarded as one of the best recording basses out there - the high number of noted session players using them seems to back that observation up.

Additionally, the service-after-the-sale when you buy a Sadowsky is among the best in the industry, which explains the fervent Sadowsky loyalists out there. I've been one myself for close to two decades.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Metro is an unbelievable bass, and very close to the quality of the NYC models. If you're not into fancy tops and just want a regular model Sadowsky, the Metro is the way to go!

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

I love my metro. Similar quality to my 2 NYC basses. The proof is in the gigging and recording. If you do either on a regular basis, you owe it to yourself to pick one up

Rob

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you don't want any fancy options, it's essentially identical and goes through the same QC a NYC bass does.

Great basses IMO.

8. I have yet to play my Metro and not get a positive comment on the tone. It plays extremely well and I can dial in a wide variety of tones quickly. My bass is the second one down in the MV4 in the Vintage Series section (59 Burst, maple board, mint green pickguard)
    http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_metro.html

I'm so glad I stepped up. It has been worth every penny!

9. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I've had mine since December and it is the best playing and best sounding bass I have ever had...by count this is the 12th bass I've owned over the years (a lot of years)...

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Thats funny. I'm on my 12 Sadowsky LOL

Rob

11. Thanks Guys.

I think I will go with one soon but not sure if it should be a Alder/rosewood or Ash/maple

Which one - I like them both

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love what Roger does with alder/rosewood. punchie as hell, yet warm and inviting. actually in cahoots to get a PJ-4 in those woods.

and i'm still hurting for not jumping on a used Metro i saw on craigslist a little while back. :(

13. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Hou:

Even though it's very hard to tell, the Sadowsky you have pictured in your post with the ash/maple combination is actually a Transparent White finish. I know, because I own the bass in the picture. I purchased that bass from Indoor Storm back in December, but for some reason it still shows up on their website. It is a beautiful bass and it plays and sounds great. When I was shopping for my Sadowsky I was torn between the Trans White and the Olympic White....I decided on the Trans White because I loved the way the wood grain comes through in a subtle way. Very cool.... Shopping for a Sadowsky is almost as much fun as owning one....the thrill of the hunt, so to speak. What ever color you decide, I know you'll like it. Enjoy!!

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    +1

Play one if possible.. I really dug them too (played a M5-24 and a MV5) but like with Toasted, they're not for everyone..

I always thought this was a sweet looking bass:

[​IMG]

15. Sorry! Didn't know that it was your bass. It's a good looking bass. I like the white color on basses. Have you tried a Alder/rosewood?

16. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I haven't played one either - I am going to the Sadowsky shop this Friday and play the metros to see if they are for me , if they are I will probably take one home.

17. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I 2nd Mark's suggestion ... try one first before making the committment. In spite of the high praises here at TB, not everyone is in love with them. I like them a lot, and would love to be playing one if a 6 was available with 18mm or 19mm spacing .... Hey, the Emperor is no slacker, either ;)

18. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Actually it's a compliment to have your bass show up in a post. I have never had a chance to try the alder/rosewood combo. I had to purchase my bass on-line and never even had a chance to play a Sadowsky until it arrived. It's pretty obvious from the posts people like their Sadowsky's...so I took a chance. Mine is awesome. The Trans White is really beautiful. I've heard the rosewood boards are a little mellower than the maple boards, but I can only repeat what I've read. I did find my Sadowsky a little "bright" out of the box and and I have since added a VTC and put on a set of Sadowsky nickle strings, and that has helped. Again, good luck with your search. When I bought mine I was planning on doing lots of research, combing the Sadowsky website daily, and checking with different dealers to see what they had in stock, etc. My careful research lasted 5 minutes because I bought the first one I came across...I don't regret it for a second. Good luck!

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    That's my bass (Namm #3) and yes I love it!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

20. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I owned NYC's and a Metro.
    The Metro is killer.
    Also owned other high end J Basses and the Sadowsky is by far the best.
    In fact, I sold my Fodera after it became a very expensive back-up bass to my Metro!
    Like others have said, if you don't desire a fancy top, then get one of the Metro line basses.
    I just found a price list from Sadowsky from like 1991. A Standard 4 with a maple top was the same price of a Metro today!!!