Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Metro MV4 Looks very nice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Deposit on one Sadowsky Metro MV4 for Jan2005.
    I have a NYC PJ/4 in Inca Silver, Morado and chambered Alder. I'm thinking of putting flats on the PJ and string the MV4 with Sadowsky Nickels. I had a chance to play my friend's NYC Ash/Maple with a birdseye board over the weekend and was quite impressed with the focus/tightness and balance from this bass. I actually preferred the ash/maple over the PJ with roundwound nickles. I was intitally scared off the ash/maple combo in fear of too much brightness but man O man it sounded great to me. Since I don't need all the figured wood I might as well get a Metro. I'm adding a VTC, Sadowsky Nickel strings, Drop D-Tuner, Strap-Loks, and request an InCase instead of the usual case. I'm pumped. :)

2. Roger's swamp ash with maple board J basses simply smoke!

3. I used to own Sadowsky Metro (RV#147) that i bought form AJ Love on TB...olympic white, tort guard amd morado board....awesome playing bass! I'm still kicking myself for selling her! Shortly thereafter I acquired an NYC standard Sad 4 that IMHO was not nearly as nice as the Metro...I think you're going to be quite pleased!

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Go for it. I love my Metro. Ash, maple board, trans blue. It gets most of my gigs. 8.35lbs!!

Good luck with it. Here's a pic

Rob

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Where's the pic? That is lightest Metro I've heard of so far. Very cool! I've seen most 5 string Metro's weighing in around 9 - 9.5 lbs or so.

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

8.35lbs for sure. Bought it at the shop in Brooklyn before it even made the website. Got luck! Was there for a visit to have my NYC 5 looked at. Picked it up, knew i had to have it. Has the lowest action of all three I own. Great slap tone. Very focused

Rob

7. Thanks E-body
    I'm pretty excited, I think it will suit me very well.
    Bike...I really like your blue Metro.

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    So how would you describe the sound of your NYC Sadowsky? Is an ash/maple really that different than your alder/morado? Can't you dial in the added snap with the Sadowsky EQ or maybe some new sadowsky stainless steel strings?

I've got an amazing ash/brazilian rosewood that can do it all, that is a combo I highly recommend! #4018

PS Gary Flowers has a shoreline gold ash/maple NYC bass for around the same price as a metro and it already has the VTC and a D-tuner! So you would actually come out ahead...might make a nice contrasting statement with your inca silver NYC...Thanks, Marc

9. The preamp can add treble but the woods like swamp ash and maple give more attack and less sweetness --but still very sweet-- than alder morado or alder rosewood. A bit more spank and tightness to my ears. I really prefer that tone. I spend about 2-1/2 hours in the shop last August and noticed a difference. It's not gargantuan but it's perceptible.

10. Yamarc. I saw both your bass and Gary's and considered both. Gary's is very tempting but I'm not into the gold and desperately want a 59 burst :rolleyes: In fact I left you a voicemail about your bass but I guess you didn't get. Since then I spoke with the NYC shop and found out a curious opinion.
    According to one of the guys, the neck/board wood makes most of the difference in tone... :bag: He said that was Roger's opinion. Yep, I questioned that and said from what research I've done on tone from a bolt on neck basses the general consensus is that the body wood has more to do with the tone characteristics than the neck/board wood ???? I don't want to start a huge discussion on that but that statement is what kept me from pursuing your bass with the stunning Brazilian rosewood and ash body. My bud's bass that I played was a NYC ash/maple and as JimS stated it sounded tighter and was more to my liking. There are several beautiful NYC Sads for sale right now but most are the rosewood boards either Morado or Brazilian. I would jump on Gary's bass if it were my preference in paint. When I'm not playing my basses I'm looking at them....

Here is a nice one.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149590&highlight=sadowsky

11. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    My bass is actually not for sale. I considered it awhile ago but, I am diggin it way too much for that right now. I disagree with the idea that one factor (fingerboard or body) plays more into the tone than any other. It seems to be the general consensus that the overall tone is affected by the whole instrument not just the finderboard. I mean, the bridge and pups are connected to a piece of wood that also resonates with a certain timbre and tone as well. The fingerboard seems to add a certain attack to the overall tone of an instrument but the body plays into as well. The attack is just the most immediate, sonically noticable aspect to many players. But the body wod has to play a factor is this.

Take my (amazing) bass in point; the body is ash and the fingerboard is brazilian rosewood, it has a tightness that many alder bodied instruments lack, but retains the sweeter attack of rosewood. So, essentially I have the best of both worlds (at least in my opinion and the guy at Sadowsky who built my baby!) the sweeter, fuller sound/attack of rosewood (brazilian rosewood is richer and brighter than morado or indian rosewood) and the punchiness of swamp ash. I allows me to get whatever I might need for any situation, albeit old-school, modern funk or anything in between. I think it is a fallacy to assume that the fingerboard will get you the subtle differences between the tones of the 70's and 60's.

If you add a snappier fingerboard to a punchier body you get a bass that naturally goes well with funk/70's era sounds. The same is true for the more subdued and sweeter sound of the 60's in a rosewood/alder combo. So, the way I see it is Go for the best of both! Figure out what you like from each wood and find a bass that combines the best of both. My bass in point. But then again, I am not looking to find a bass for only one particular style, I want one that can convincingly do them all. I've found that in my bass, in my wood combo...now if I can just justify the money I spent on it ;)

Thanks for letting me go on about this...I, like many others, love investigating the finer points of tone in the natural timbre of the wood itself. To some it is secondary to other things like style and technique, not me, I hear the subtle differences (and part of the fun of playing for me is in the investigation). Marc

12. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Big String....what does this mean for your Lakland JO? Where does it now compare for you against your new Sadowsky. I'm wondering because, I'm sort of in the same boat. Love both, but feel compelled to make a decision between the two.

KenO

13. Thanks YaMarc, that's probably what was meant and I probably should be careful of almost quoting someone. I didn't want to start a debate so I'm glad it's not turning into that. I agree there are lots of factors to make the tone/timbre and all. Glad you're diggin your bass man I wanted to buy it and actually I prefer rosewood boards for looks etc. but I've got two Jazz basses with rosewood, one with East Indian (Lakland Joe) and the Sad PJ with Morado. Again, I was really impressed with the focus/tightness of the ash/maple.

KPO
    Doesn't mean anything...yet. First, I have to wait until January sometime to get the ash/maple Metro and in the meantime I'm diggin my Sad PJ and the two Laklands. I have someone intersted in purchasing my Lakland 4-94 Deluxe and I'm not sure if I would let the Joe go or not. I don't really need three basses and I'm perfectly happy playing only Jazz basses, it my thing. I've sorta given up (again) on a P-bass with a Jazz neck idea. The Sad PJ covers that pretty well and when I finally put my Sadowsky Flatwounds on I'm sure it will be bitchin'! I have flats on the Joe right now and it sounds so sweet especially through my Berg NV610 and Demeter 201s/Crest CA9 set up. O MOMMA is it sweet. The only trouble with the Joe is it's passive (not a bad thing) and a pain on live gigs. If I end up keeping the Joe (which I probably will) I will just deal with the passive thing or else try another Sad outboard which I should have kept in the first place. Right now I'm looking forward to being knocked out by the Metro and hope it shakes my world like my buddy Wendell's NYC did last weekend. I might even end up selling the PJ who knows.... :help: