Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Metro Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Jan 20, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I have been noticing quite a few Metros for sale here, on bassgear and eBay. Is anyone else curious why so many of these are hitting the used market?

I have played a few and think they are really nice though still a bit on the expensive side, am I missing something here?

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Nope. You are missing nothing. They are fantastic. If you like them, get one. If you dont, dont. They arent for sale because they fall apart or sound bad. Probably because people gas for another one, an NYC, or another brand all together. Different strokes for different bassists

Rob

3. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I'm with Rob - I think the Metros give people the opportunity to see if the Sadowsky sound is right for them without having to take the much larger plunge involved with a NYC bass. If they like it, then they may decide to move onto a NYC that's built with their specific needs in mind, or they may decide that the Metro is everything they need, and just stick with it.

Also, and this is no criticism to you WCB, but at any given time, there always seems to be one brand, or a particular model, that suddenly has an unusual amount of instruments all suddenly pop up on the market. I noticed over the last few weeks that 4 or 5 F Basses all popped up in the classifieds. Does that mean we should start questioning if there's a problem with F Basses?!! Of course, I'm joking, but it's just another example that, if you want, you can draw any sort of conclusion of what's happening with the used market place, but really, it's generally just a coincidence.

4. +1 When a brand gets hype and an unusually large number of people buy them, that usually results in a small percentage of those buyers deciding the instrument isn't for them. You are starting to see some Schroeder's come on the market now for the same reason, and Accugroove went through the same thing a while back. All that stuff is great gear and I see it as an opportunity to get a piece of this great gear at a discounted price!

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't think there are any more Metros listed for sale over any other bass out there. Just because you happen to notice them doesn't mean it's true. :D

I owned a Metro, and it was the single greatest Jazz Bass I've ever owned. But, I sold it because I plan to buy a PJ Metro when/if they ever become available. I don't have the space/$$ to keep every bass I buy, so I got rid of it. The nice thing about Sadowsky basses is that you don't have to search long to find a great one--they're all pretty universally great. So, it wasn't like I was selling "the one."

6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I don't know what the reason is specifically, but I used to own an NYC... #4311.. To me it was the most beautiful bass I've ever seen, nevermind owned. I then decided it wasn't for me. The feel was a little 'stiff', and I ended up selling it because my F Bass was 'it' (rec'd the F after the Sadowsky).

Well, after a few months without a Sadowsky, I tried 'em again. This time I picked up a UV70MB5 in a killer deal. This bass is incredible. It's a little bit heavier (10.1 vs. 8.5), but the tone, the feel, the looks... everything it there. Therefore, I'd consider the Metros a bargain.

7. Not surprising... the 70's pickup placement and heavier ash body of the Ultra's lines up much closer to the F Bass vibe! Nice!

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I sold mine not because it was the wrong bass, but because I'm in the wrong band! I'm glad I had it since I know what they are good at, so in the future (in some other band) I'll know when I need to get another one. They are amazing basses.

9. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Thanks all, I appreciate your input. I am thinking that a metro may be in order for me.

Peace!

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    hey west coast,

before you buy, Bass Excahnge off the 101 at Woodman had a couple lying around when i was last in there. it may give you an opportunity to play one prior to taking the plunge. i did this and found that they were very nice, as expected, but i am just not a fender or fender "style" guy. something to think about.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the Metros are like a Gateway bass into the NYC line.

12. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Thanks for the info Mike, I know Will and the crew over there. I'll stop by and give the Metro's another try.

13. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I sold a Metro 5 a while back because I didn't have the time to fully adapt to a 5 string after 20 years of playing a 4 string, but it was a great bass. I actually just bought a Metro 4 from a guy who is switching to a 5...

Five, four, doesn't matter, they are great basses.

14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I owned a tokyo RJ5 for awhile, but that just wasn't the bass for me. The feel was AWESOME, but I couldn't get into the J-bass vibe, I guess.

That being said, I keep considering a Sadowsky M5-24, since that is a bit more modern. Flipping through the channels the other day, I landed on the Food Network. In emril's band, the bass player was groovin' down on a Sadowsky 24-fret modern, could have been a metro since it was solid black.. who knows. That thing was sick sounding. Alas, I have Roscoe GAS, so I just hope maybe the Roscoe can also capture a bit of that sound (depending on options, of course) heh.

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    It's a great bass ,however if you're looking for a J bass with really super fat mids, then this isn't the bass IMO, but other than that it's very good.