1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky Metro question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eggman, May 15, 2006.

1. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    RV Metros are alder/rosewood and MV are ash/maple, as we all know.

Has anyone who has both an RV and an MV ever tried switching necks to see about tone differences?

I believe Roger has said that board wood influences tone more than body wood - so I am wondering if such a switch would make the alder bass more bright and the ash bass less bright.

2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Sounds reasonable.

3. dragonbass

dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    ........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder..........................................................
    I'm not to sure about the Tone thing....

But I do know that all Sadowsky Necks are hand fitted to the bodies they are on, so swapping a neck would not be a likely thing. The neck angle, tightness of the neck pocket, even the screw holes could be different, not to mention string alignment with the bridge.

I think your best bet is to try some NYC basses, and see the tonal difference.

Rob

4. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Hot idea. I'd definitely be interested in this.

I do know, however, that the UV metros can be had in the ash/rosewood variety.

5. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    I have a NYC Ash/Morado and it sounds killer, killer , killer
    Even though Marcus is Maple it has the Marcus sound all the way.

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've recently picked up an ash/rosewood UV70 5. It has single coils in 70s locations, so a strict comparison to my old RV5 isn't totally possible. That said, I find the ash bass to have a "harder" sounding midrange and a different string response that gives it more of a tight/present sound and less of the thickness and girth of the RV5. The UV70 is the clear winner for slap, the RV5 is probably better for pick, and they both have their own individual wonderfulness for fingerstyle.

I also used to have an ash/rosewood lakland DJ5 and hear a lot of the same tonality in the UV70, with the sadowsky simply sounding better, with a particularly great crispy texture in the highs, and stronger mids.

Were you thinking more about ash/rosewood or alder/maple? I think each piece contribes something, with the fingerboard more controlling the response of the highs and the body more controlling the mid and low response.

My totally unscientific $0.02.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Fretboard wood has an effect but I believe the body makes the biggest difference. My alder Sadowsky's have sounded warmer than my ash basses

Rob