Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Metro RV5 vs. Lakland Skyline DJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remo, Mar 8, 2006.

1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    how do these stack up tonewise? is the DJ the more modern sounding of the two? Is the $1k price difference worth more than just the word on the headstock? I'm most interested in the sound differences between the two...

or should I be comparing the Sad Met RV5 to the Lak Syk JO5?

2. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a Sadowsky and a DJ. I would have to say, if you like the DJ, then your Metro comparison would be closer to a UV. Once again, if you search the threads, most TB'ers like the Sadowskys more and I am also one of those TB'ers. I actually think the American Laklands, Glaub, Osborn, are more similar to the Metro's in quality. That being said, the DJ is the best bass in that price range IMO. But I do think the Sad is worth every penny. If you like the smaller necks, you'd have to go somewhere and try the UV70 Metro.

3. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA

Ooops, I didn't really answer your question.

I personally didn't like the Aero pickups but some do. They tend to sound ultra aggressive compared to the Sadowsky. That being said, I think that Sadowskys sound more "modern" and they have more tonal options because you can go between passive/active, and the preamp gives you way more flexibility. I thought the Aeros were too far limiting in terms of the tone.

On another note, I had the privilege of playing Mark Meadows' JO this past weekend and that thing just sings. Because he is an endorsed artist, I don't know if his woods are special or anything, (I doubt it) but the Fralins just sing vintage tone, and the neck is much smaller than my Sadowsky. If you don't know who Mark is, he really is one of the best bass players I have EVER seen live. I don't have GAS for a JO but I will be putting some fralins into one of my Jazzes.

Once again, you have to try before you buy.

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    anyone else gonna weigh in here?

5. I own an RV5 and have played the DJ5... both are great.

The Sadowsky sounds like a Sadowsky more than a 'J Bass', and I would describe its sound as somewhat 'modern'. They are great, and they have a unique sound.... very bright and articulate.

The DJ to me sounds like a passive 70's J Bass... very grindy and punchy. I liked the neck profile of the Sadowsky MUCH better than the DJ5, which felt chunky up at the nut... but that's just personal taste.

I think the DJ's and Metro's are identical in quality and playability. However, a Metro UV5 (the 70's Sadowsky version) with passive tone control (a very desirable option on these bright basses) is probably $1,200 more than the DJ5.... you would have to decide if the price difference is worth it.

If you want a more modern J sound in an active bass, the Sadowsky is great. If you are looking for an 'updated passive 70's Fender ,type thing.... IMO the DJ can't be beat.

The Sad 5 are all 34"s, and I think the DJ5 is 35"... so that's another difference to consider.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've had both, and I thought the build quality on the Metro was quite a bit better, especially with respect to the nut. The Skyline was perfectly functional, but it didn't have that beautiful attention to detail that the metro had. There wasn't a hair out of place on my Metro.

I agree with KJung about the tones. Also remember that the lakland is 35" scale, which makes a difference in feel and string selection.

The best of both worlds would be a UV metro loaded with sadowsky single coils. The UV series also offers ash with rosewood, which is my preferred wood combo. And the blocks are hot.

I don't have either bass anymore, but if I were going to purchase another J style 5 string, id be more likely to choose the Sadowsky. Or an Atelier Z.

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    thanks guys... would you guys say the RV sound more like the Skyline JO than the Skyline DJ?

8. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    remo, are you specifically asking about the tone of the Sadowsky in passive mode, with the preamp bypassed? If you're comparing the passive Lakland's against the active Sadowsky, that's really an apples to oranges comparison. The JO and DJ sound closer to each other than either of would when compared to the active Sadowsky. The Sadowsky run active has a much more modern sound than either of the passive Laklands.