Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Metro VS G&L VS FENDER USA VS LAKLAND SKYLINE DJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GGG, Jul 6, 2004.

1. GGG

GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    All I want is a PJ or Jazz, Alder Body, Rosewood fretboard, with pickgurard. am not the maple kinda guy.

perferable colour scheme is:

Sonic Blue, tortise pickguard
    or
    White, Pearl pickguard with Matching headstock, white block inlay on fretboard.

Sadowsky Metro, it is the most expensive among the rest.
    Adv: Sonic Blue! It is a Sadowsky! Good Preamp
    Dis: Price, no matching headstock.

G&L SB2

Adv: it is a GnL, USA Hand built, lots of custom option, Good looking,
    good hardware, it is a passive instrument
    Dis: no tone knot, no Sonic blue

G&L JB2

Adv: ditto
    Dis: no pickguard.

Fender USA PJ or J:

Adv: can get it at local (Hong Kong) bass store and can get staff discount plus hire purchase.
    Dis: lack of choice of colour and etc, it is a mass production bass.

Lakland Skyline DJ:

Adv: Good Looking, Ready made stocks at some online store, affordable
    Dis: made in korea but the same price of GnL. Maybe too small for a big guy.

any recommendation? :hyper:

2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Sadowsky Metro

3. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    The Sadowsky or the Skyline. No second guessing over here.

4. GGG

GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    why? is SKyline DJ good built?

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Skyline DJ is only availible with a Ash Body

Aj

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've found all my Lakland's to be really well built. On par with any other basses I've tried or owned. I'm waiting for a Darryl Jones 5. That bass is gonna kick ass. The DJ plays really well too.

7. GGG

GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    Oops..

8. I'd assume the Sadowsky is the best of the bunch, but it depends on your budget. Generally, of the others, I've found that the Fender is the most in your face, the Skylines being smoother, and the G&L in the middle. However I haven't played the Darryl Jones, so I can't comment directly.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Harumph!!

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Honestly, I find this a weird comparision. It's like comparing a Honda & a Toyota to a Ferrari... The Sadowsky is quite the high end bass, while the G&L & Skyline are not.

Don't get me wrong, I owned a Skyline 5501, & I'd recommend it to anyone shopping in that price range. But, if anyone has the scratch to afford a Sadowsky, why would you get a bass in the "Bang for your Buck" column???

11. I'd have to agree...I considered the Metro as a second instrument and then saw the price ($1900). I figured, if I'm gonna get a Sadowsky, and spend at least 2K, why not get what I want (by way of features), have Roger actually put his hands on the guitar...and spend the extra grand to have a REAL Sadowsky. So that's what I'm doing.
    Although I have not tried a Metro, if they're anything like Lakland and some of the other companies that have an 'economical' line...they do not have the same (for lack of a better word)...magic.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky Metro all the way :bassist: , the quality in my opinion surpasses those otheres mentioned.

13. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    in that price range you should add Mike Lull basses, VERY well made basses

14. Major Metal and
    A g r e e d !

No brainer IMHO.

15. If you want an opaque finish the the Metro is it. If you have the $ or are a sucker for figured tops like me, go NYC.

16. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Skyline baby! You can't beat their prices. I am sure the Sadowskis are reeeally nice, but they also have really nice price tags!

17. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    G&L has so many colors in blue,cobalt,electric,emerald,lake placid,metal flake. You may see something you like. It is a bummer they don't offer a pickguard option on the JB2 because it's an awesome instrument and a pickguard is something I'd like on the Jazz I buy. Lack of one may not stop me from getting the JB2. I've owned a G&L for years and they are great American made instruments. Order through a good dealer who will talk to G&L and you can add lots of options. They will consider anything.

I've played the Skyline JO at a shop and was impressed. They have good hardware. Hipshot tuners. Good Lakland bridge. Retro look. Fralin pickups they claim are the same as ones on U.S. JO. But I'm hung up on the price being the same as a MIA G&L too.

US Fender Jazz has been inconsistant in quality from the ones I've seen in stores. To the point I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on one. They've left a bad taste in my mouth.

18. My Sadowsky (ordered), is an Ultra Vintage...as of yet he hasn't decided to do the Metro in that configuration.

19. GGG

GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    Am talking bout Sadowsky Metro, not Sadowsky
    btw, Honda's S2000 is really cool, and Toyota's Altezza

20. GGG

GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    thatz the problem... I feel strange buying a Korean bass at the same price of a USA one.

For GnL JB2, White body, Rosewood fretboard plus Matching headstock sounds nice? Maybe I will get a SB2 and get a preamp box to cut some high..