Sadowsky:- Metro vs. NYC made

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkzfly, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I've had a good laugh in the past looking through the Sadowsky threads on this site. I'm sure some people will just ask me to search this topic, hey, I tried but couldn't be bothered shifting through the masses of Sadowsky posts.

Here's the question...I understand Roger's reasoning behind manufacturing the Metros on top of the NYC's but truthfully, is there any difference in build quality or sound? I'm definately buying myself a Metro RV-5, but I need to know it there are differences between the two.

I'm actually a big Active Bass member, but as a site, it's becoming increasingly less Bass related so I'd prefer to post my queries here instead.

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    one of the sadowsky experts here might be able to answer in more detail, but from my understanding the metro line is essentially the same as the nyc line, but with less options available (figured maple tops, various finishes, etc.) also the metro line weighs a bit more than the nyc line. but basically if the options you want in a sadowsky are available in the metro line, go with that. if there's something extra that you want and you have the extra money for it, go with the nyc line.
  3. Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Yeh, I got that. I'll install the Vintage tone control at a later date, just to make things a little more versatile if ever I want/need to go passive.
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    No graphite in the neck (same as NYCs from a few years ago), no VTC, no options, no big deal! I've seen NYCs in shops, and own a Metro, and there is no significant difference in quality.

Only reason I'd like a NYC (in addition to my Metro) is that I'd like to have an Ash/Rosewood PJ5, which is not offered as a Metro.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Metro basses do not have chambered bodys.
  6. Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Hence the plus biggie. Two piece bodies rule anyway. The chambers don't enhance anything...even though Warwick claim they do.
  7. Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I don't get it, but I'm sure it was massively witty and humerous of you.
  8. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think....that may be a representation of a black hole. If not, I'm as clueless as you.

As stated, Old style neck without graphite or thickened headstaock
    Non chambered, heavier body.
    Less options.
    I doubt they are painted by the same guy....
    Resale value
    And...ego factor.

Having had one of the old style NYC's and one of the current styles....I am of the opinion that the chambered body and neck redesign do in fact make a difference that can be defined in a non critical listening (on stage) environment.

At one time..I believe Rogers website stated the "wood was the foundation" or "wood was the key" or some such. the end of the's different wood.

I find both lines to be well worth the investment and would be happy with either at either price but...I'm not selling my new style NYC to buy two metros.
  9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I like this black hole better...I think it's a Korean black hole.

10. Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Ah, a Black Hole. I didn't realise Sadowsky's were so popular in the States actually...judging by the posting I've read though some people have gotten a bit cheesed over them being so popular, but can see why. Here in the UK they're overpriced, so I'm getting mine from the U.S :hyper:
  11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    I own an Ash/maple Metro and and Ash/maple NYC and they play, feel and sound identical. Weight is the same in this case. I got my Metro to see if I would like 'em and then I ordered the NYC because I wanted some customs option not availabe in the Metro line. I'm going to sell the Metro, but I would be very happy keeping it if I couldn't afford the NYC.