1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky metro vs. NYC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, May 15, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Just wanted some comments...

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Their Different.

3. search

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I can only speak about the Metros, as I have not had the opportunity to play an NYC instrument. I've had my Metro RV4 since mid-March. It's an amazing bass. I've been playing bass since 1973, and I've owned several basses over the years. The quality/attention to detail, the playability, and the tone all exceeded my expectations. I have nothing but the highest regard for Sadowsky instruments and I think you'll find that most people who own them would agree with me.

5. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

I own 2 NYC's, and have never played a metro. Other than that I can pretty much echo your sentiments.

The standard line from the Sadowsky shop is that if you can get the features you want on the Metro line, then you don't need the NYC. The NYC is for more custom options like quilted tops, "special" fingerboards, fretless, etc.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea, this has been discussed lots.

while the metro's are terrific machines, and one of the best in their class, the NYC's are on yet another playing level. fit, finish, balance, weight, machining, all hit pitch perfect notes. no other fefner style bass comes close, IMHO.

7. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    What about Suhr?

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Not only that but, they're different. :D

micgtr71 likes this.
  9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Metros = Same preamp/pickups as the NYC's (VTC is an add-on for Metro, standard for NYC), heavier bodies (NYC's are chambered), no custom tops or custom colors.

If you can live within the limited Metro options and don't need a bass under 9 lbs, then get a Metro.

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I didn't know that the NYC models were chambered. Learn something everday.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

;)

12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

I agree. Nothing beats a good Fefner bass!!! :bag:

13. Bass Boy

Bass Boy Supporting Member

Beat me to it!

Anyone seen the new updated sadowsky site yet?

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tom B, Mikebass, Burk, and I did a three bass shootout with my Metro R5/24, Tom's NYC Anniversary M24, and Burk's NYC Vintage 5, and the Metro held up in EVERY category with the NYCs, except in the area of fancy tops. Now each bass sounded different, mostly based on different strings, and different woods used, but as far as build quality, playability, etc., the Metro line holds up to the NYC's in every way. In my case, even the weight was pretty even, although I understand that I have an unusually light Metro.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Ya :(

I don't like the color scheme. The overall layout is "ok". The store is completely different to the rest of the site and just coming from someone who develops websites for clients, I find it inconsistant. Also, many pages open in new windows which is good sometimes but I wouldn't have done it for the In-Stock stuff.

16. Bass Boy

Bass Boy Supporting Member

I agree.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I LIKE having a shopping cart for strings though. I know I'll use it!

18. i like the old one much better. the new one looks more professionally done, just happened to like the old better.

and i really want that red 4string nyc jazz.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Either way, you'll love a Sadowsky

Rob