Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Metros

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Dec 25, 2004.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey all,
    Anyone here (Nino-Brown, Roger himself?) know the answer to my Christmas day question?
    I dig the Sadowsky Metro, especially the standard looking vintage design...but does anyone here know if it can be had with an alder body and maple fretboard? I looked through their website, and it mentions alder/rosewood, and ash/maple...I REALLY dig the alder/maple combo, and would love to know if it could be had in Sonic Blue...

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm not sure but ya can ask sadowsky himself. i did see a "vintage" metro at the pa guitar show with a maple board. I was under the impression that all of the metros with the vintage body configuration (i.e., pickguard, etc), were alder, but i'm not sure. Even so, both that one and the regular ash/maple combo sounded great and had a warm "alder-ish" sorta tone if you know what i mean.

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hey guys,
    "Vintage" models have a pickguard and control plate. The "Standard" models do not. Either version can be had in Alder/Rosewood, or Ash/Maple. The Metros are only available with these wood combinations. The lack of options is what keeps the price tasty. If you want Alder/Maple(my favorite too, I've got a '66 MAPLE CAP P-bass!), you'll have to get a NYC Sadowsky.
    Corey

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Unfortunately not. The Metro's come with Maple/Swamp Ash or Rosewood/Alder.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Waits for ILovePink to show up...

:bag:

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I have a metro with a maple board. Go for it. Dont hesitate

Rob

7. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Yeah, I emailed and asked for that combo, even said pretty please, but no dice.

8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a MS5 and I have no immediate plans to look for any more instruments. It is a really fine bass. Maple neck and I have no problem so far in any situation with tone.
    Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I will eventually have a M5-24. Played one in Nashville a few months back and really liked it.

10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    That's a bummer! I had an RJ5 for awhile, which I found way too bright for my liking. The alder/maple probably would have been right up my alley. Oh well....

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually the maple would be brighter than the rosewood board. All the cats i've know who had the sadowskys with maple board said they were not harsh at all in a band setting. I found the maple/ash metros to be very fat sounding. I usually prefer the sound of alder, but these basses were fantastic. With the treble all the way down (that's flat as the sad preamp is boost only), and the bass up about 1/4 of the way, the maple/ash basses were as fat as any alder bass i've heard.

12. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    To me, ash is brigter than alder. That's what I was commenting on. I generally do not like rosewood fretboards. I much prefer ebony or maple.

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    To my ears as well, Ash seems brighter and tighter than Alder. I agree that an Alder/Maple would be a nice combo and one that may be slightly less bright than the Ash/Maple.

14. Chimmin' in here. I have the Metro MV4 ash/maple. I also have a NYC PJ4 alder/morado. Both are excellent. The ash/maple is definatley brighter, and more acuately 'more' tight or tighter sounding. I've been using Sad Flatwounds on my PJ and love them, I have Sad Nickles on my MV4 and they are real nice. My good Pal just received a NYC Jazz 5'er that is ash/morado.... and it's sweet. This guy is really picky and he loves it. I would definaltely consider this combo if ordering a NYC bass. I was always an alder fan but have become more fond of the ash bodies. I do prefer a rosewood board though. I also really like birdseye maple and from my own testing find it a little less "brighter" than the standard maple boards I've tried. My Pal, concurs with this opinion.