Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky MM/J Custom UPDATE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jun 2, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Ok I did some research and listened to some of your opinions.

Again, feel free to give more input or thoughts on this.

I was going to have Roger build me a custom bass like this but we would be talking around $3,800 - $4,000.

I have a call into Nordstrand about the MM5.3 pickup. It says on the website that their wide spacing version will fit Laklands and other wide spaced basses. However, it doesn't actually say what the spacing is.

Laklands are 19mm/0.75" at the bridge just like Sadowsky's. If I hear from Nordstrand that it is 19mm/0.75" then I am getting that pickup (based on recommendations from people here - better be good). That will only cost me $135.

I also talked to the guy who has been doing work on my basses for years, Eric Chaz, about routing it, wiring it up, etc. Eric is an authorized Sadowsky repair shop. He will charge me $100 total to do the whole thing.

So, my thought is that I am going to order a Metro MV5 (not sure on color yet) and have Eric install it. That and adding the Vintage Tone Control this thing will cost me only $2,585 :hyper: Far less than a custom NYC (though all of Roger's stuff is worth every penny!)

I am already planning on buying 3 - 4 Metro's over the next year so I will just experiment with one of them with this P/U configuration.

Something like this but a different color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also still need to decide on how I want the MM wired:

Option #1: Front coil, Both coils, rear coil (like Lakland)
    Option #2: Both coils parallel, Front coil, Both coils series (like Wariwck)

I do have some time since a custom ordered Metro will take about three months.

Thanks for your help guys,

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Regarding your pickup wiring: Take this with a grain of salt, as its based on a Modulus Flea 4 that I put a Nordstrnad MM4.2 in. With that pickup I would typically run the EQ flat, or put it in passive mode. From there, I would simply toggle it between series and parallel and that would provide a very noticeable amount of tonal variation. I would definitely suggest using your second wiring method for the MM as I think the results would be more dramatic and versatile.

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Why not have Valenti build you one? And I second the Nordstrand pickup suggestion - they sound very good and respond well.

4. +1.... Or another luthier.... I never could understand ordering a bass and then changing it. There are so many great luthiers out there, and also so many stock basses that would get you close to what you want from the start.

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I used to play two Laklands...55-02 and 55-94... and was never a huge fan of the front coil selector. For a time I thought about having it changed to series-single-parallel, I think this would be your best bet.

Where are you planning on placing the MM pickup: the Metro's jazz pup lines up with the front coil, back coil, or somewhere in the middle?

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

I agree. In the first option the coils are so close together that the difference is neglibable. That is something I noticed when I played the Lakland's.

I will still be using the Sadowsky Preamp.

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Again, I am leaing toward option #2 on the wiring as that is what I had in my Warwicks and it was very versatile.

I will probably (99% sure) have the front coil line up exactly where the rear Sadowsky Jazz pickup is. That way I still get that Jazz tone in that MM single coil mode. It'll be a little more agressive but it will sound like a jazz setup. My Wariwcks did except for the Wenge neck which really darened the tone.

8. Maybe you could combine both threads about this.

9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I am lookig for feedback on this new information and didn't want it geting lost in the old thread.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Should be interesting, all the best with it !. :) :bassist:

11. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    Eric Chaz is da man!

Aloha
    Mo'

12. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    BTW, I'd go with #1 opt. You'll have, aprox., the front coil like the regular 60' J, rear coil like 70' J and both serie like, or very close, to the Modern 24... just my thought.

Take care

Mo'

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Yeah, that is a tough call for me

14. I think you should start two additonal threads: Sadowsky MM series and Sadowsky MM parallel

Or get a Sadowsky double neck and have all the options at your fingertips.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Thanks for the input guys.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jim

Just think that is enough carbon graphite stiffeners to last someone till their 100! ;) :D

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    why not see if Roger or Nino can shave or build you a neck for the Lakeland ? but I truly think if you had the Metro with the soapbar pups,this would be all the bass you would need,but I understand getting what you want especially when you're willing to spend in access of $4000 grand !. :smug: