Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky MM/J (like Lakland - but far better). Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, May 29, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I purposed this idea in another thread but would like more input on it.

When I was endorsed by Warwick (still am actually) I had two of the same bass for all my live stuff (FNA Jazzman's). Just love having one bass that is MY TONE and another identical bass as a backup.

I actually loved the combination of the MM pickup (with three way switch - split coil, humbucker in series, humbucker in parallel or front coil, rear coil or both) and the jazz pickup in the neck.

Since my FNA Jazzman's have swamp ash bodies I can get very nice jazz bass tone but hotter, easily a better MM tone and with the pan pot rolled up to just the neck jazz pickup I could get a P'ish kind of tone but not quite. Very versatile.

I stopped playing those because the necks were too bulky and I needed wide string spacing which they do not offer with those pickups.

Laklands are good but there are too many things I don't like about them (35" scale, the pres they use, the pickups they use, neck radius, etc.). Besides, I am forever a Sadowsky man now.

I love Sadowsky's Modern 5 with the passive humbuckers and I love the Vintage Jazz basses. But I want one bass (and a clone of it as a backup) rather than two or three different types of basses.

I am thinking of talking to Roger about building me a prototype. A 24-5 body and neck with a MM style pickup in the bridge and one of his jazz pickups in the neck? Or maybe a Vintage J bass with an MM in the bridge.

That to me would be the ultimate bass AND Roger would take A LOT of business from Lakland. Can you imagine how many players and session guys use the Laklands for that PU config but would kill to have it in a Sadowsky? I know I'd buy a couple in a heart beat.

Sandberg makes what I am looking for. Looks nice and exactly what I want but Roger has my business.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your Thoughts?

2. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    He may do it,but it wouldn't supprise me if he didn't do this option also,because his basses smoke in there regular configuration,but it would be intresting

3. basslag13

basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    how did you go about getting endorsed by warwick and what kind of perks do they offer you.

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Personally, I'd love to see one. I think that I would like it a lot.

I wasn't impressed with my 24-fret, because I didn't like the double soaps. Played great, but sound just didn't do it for me. Even changed the pups and electronics out, and still didn't care for the sound. Think it had to do with the p-up location.

This bass would get my vote! Unfortunately, not my money, as I'm sure it would be far out of my "now" financial range! Could get a used Lakie 55-94 or Lakie Skyline for a lot less!

dcr

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Ah, but you are missing the big picture. Duncan makes MM pickups with 19mm spacing (Sadowsky style) so a good luthier COULD put the Duncan into a Metro Vintage Jazz bass.

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I had a deal with Spector and when they changed to 35" scale and I heard the different woods of Warwick at NAMM I switched.

Mike W.

7. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
  8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    They look great but... I have been through just about every bass out there and for the last two years I have been on the edge of switching to Sadowsky. Then after having played close to a dozen (Metro's and NYC's) in the studio (provided for me) or in shops I have finally decided that I can no longer deny what I am hearing and feeling EVERYTIME I play one.

I had the Lakland guys at NAMM 2004 trying to pull me away from my Warwick deal and join them. I played just about everything at the show that year and the only thing that really made my jaw drop, scratch my head and smile was the Sadowsky. Not just that but Roger took his time, at NAMM, to walk me through all of them AND offered for me to come back to the hotel wehere had more.

I am so in Sadowsky camp now. I can't imagine anything else.

The Sandbergs are confirming my thoughts about taking a Metro Vintage Jazz bass and have an MM put in the rear. Looks incredible.

Look at the CAL-JM5 black burst and Aged White. That is what I am talking about in a Sadowsky. Also, the PM models have me thinking too. I am 99% sure I am going to customize some Sadowsky's (maybe Nino) or have Roger build them for me from scratch.

Thanks though,

Mike W.

9. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    since you have a deal with rather big brands, should i know who you are? :meh: :help:

10. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    my advice to you mate is to just go and buy a basic fender usa jazz bass and have done with it! stop sending youself nuts thinking about expensive basses, woman and cars! you could have transcribed a solo in the time you wrote all that cobblers about those pieces of furniture! :bag:

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Why would you want to take business from Lakland? Do you have to try to hurt a good manufacturer just because you don't like their basses?

12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    What? I think Laklands are fine instruments. I prefer Sadowsky's. I think the Lakland MM/J pickup configuration is great though.

Selling and making basses is a business. I love Sadowsky's and think that a Sadowsky with this pickup config would take business away from Lakland. Is that a bad thing? Or is this a free market?

I think Sadowsky makes the best basses hands down and if they made a model like this OR if I have them make one for me I think many players and session guys might jump at the chance to buy one.

Based on you logic Lakland shouldn't make a Jazz bass because it "could" take business from Roger. Or for that matter Roger and the others should never make a Fender type bass because that would hurt Fender. Right? That is ridiculous to say the least.

Pretty cut and dry.

Mike W.

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Not necessarily. There are A LOT of artist that have deals for various reasons. Some are huge stars, some are session guys, some play a ton of gigs in high commercial traffic venues, etc.

You don't have to be a superstar to get a deal but you have to be of value to the company.

Like many others who have had deals with manufacturers and switched to Sadowsky (the list is long) playability and tone are more important than getting free or highly discounted gear. I am dumping a nice deal where I get basses very cheap and paying full price for Sadowsky's like other on here.

Makes you wonder why doesn't it?

Mike W.

14. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    This is actually a pretty good idea. The only niggle for me would be what the pickup spacing would be like on a 24F Sadowsky body along with a 24 fret neck. It seems like there'd not be enough room to get the pickups in there while leaving some room at the base of the neck for slapping. I'm too lazy to Photoshop an image of what it might look like. :p

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

You are right about not having enough room to slap. I am not a slapper though. Jason Newsted had a 24-5 made with Jazz pickups in the normal J Bass position.

BUT, if you modified or had Roger build one with a Vintage Jazz you'd have the noral room.

That is actually the direction I am leaning. Getting a couple Metros and retorfit them with and MM and splitter in the bridge position.

Possible family members I may get to modify:

Trans Red with Pearloid (also could get Trans Blue) -
    [​IMG]

Sonic Blue
    [​IMG] transred.bmp[/IMG]

Black/Maple - Possibly with a Black Pearloid pickguard
    [​IMG]

59 burst
    [​IMG]

TOUGH CHOICES TO MAKE.

16. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Hands off the sonic blue with the maple neck at Elderly Music - I want that one :eyebrow: ;) :) :bassist:

17. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    LOL

I may call them right now. :hyper:

Not sure I would pick that first

18. Makes perfect sense to me...

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like the idea of a j/MM Sadowsky but I could imagine Sadowsky being slow to want to add a configuration so closely associated with another maker, especially when their own products have such a high reputation.

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I am going to talk to Roger this coming week about this. If he is reluctant to do it (and it is his perogative) I will simply buy a Sadowsky Metro and have a high end luthier route and add the MM to it.

Either way I am 95% I am going to try this. :hyper: :D

Mike W.